Snowblower surging

Old 11-16-14, 05:47 PM
Snowblower surging

Hello,
I have a newer 9hp craftsman/tecumseh snowblower(536.887992) and the engine revs up and down when I have the throttle in the run position. Carb is totally clean and rebuilt but I don't believe that was the problem. It is a fixed jet too. I have an idle speed screw atop the carb and a screw next to the throttle. The one next to the throttle I'm not familiar with but I have watched videos of guys adjusting them. I'm thinking the hi/low revving is related to those screws but I can't seem to get a happy medium. When they say to screw in until it seats and back out 1.25/1.5 turns, what is considered seated on that spring? Am I turning it in hard or just till I get resistance? Sorry for the long winded post but I'm learning...

Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-14, 06:16 PM
Tecumseh carb

Your carb is fully nonadjustable the screw with the spring is used to adjust the low idle speed only! The lower screw with the cap on it is a pilot jet it need to be screwed in all the way it has a very small hole down the middle of it that could be blocked. There are also two o-rings on the tube that is in the center of the carb you should replace them. Did you clean this hole?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]41804[/ATTACH]

Attached Images  

Last edited by aj-allen; 11-16-14 at 06:31 PM.
Old 11-17-14, 05:22 AM
Aj thanks for the reply. The way I see in the schematic is that being the idle mixture screw. Cleaned it with wire and screwed all the way back in- even put a new cap on it. All o rings and gaskets replaced as well. It really just seems that seems to Rev too high and back off constantly. No problems starting it or running until I open up the throttle???
Djg

Old 11-18-14, 07:21 PM
Snowblower Surging

Did you re-set the float to the mfg spec when you re-assembled it? Did you use any gasket sealer when you bolted the carb to the engine? I have cured surging issues with many engines by carefully checking these issues.

Old 11-19-14, 05:59 AM
I didn't reset the float or use gasket sealer. Will try both if the adjustments that I make today don't work. In picking people's brains at work I understand that I make be way off on the idle speed screws. I was under the impression that to reset them, u screw them in until u get a little resistance from the spring. Some guys tell me I have to screw in until the spring is compressed (don't over - do it) then back out 1.5 turns.. we'll see after work.