Briggs Governor/Throttle problem

Old 11-17-14, 09:40 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Briggs Governor/Throttle problem

I have a Victa Corvette lawnmower with Briggs and Stratton 675 190cc motor. Model number of the engine is 126T02 0370 B1.

I posted a thread a couple of months ago but have been very busy and didn't fully follow it up. Outline of the issue is the throttle/governor mechanical linkage is being interfered with by one of the magnets on the side of the flywheel. See below links for videos of it running and a closeup of the interference.

While it is running the rpm does not increase when the throttle in increased unless I move the throttle plate by hand.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue and how they fixed it.

Videos:

Not running - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfDr..._JRp8FwcvAmZpQ

Running - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqO5..._JRp8FwcvAmZpQ

Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 11-18-14, 05:26 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,154 Upvotes on 1,929 Posts
Your running video is private and can not be viewed.

I have never seen the flywheel magnet cause problem with the governor or linkage so I'd say you have another problem. Since the governor is centrifugally activated it does nothing when the engine is not running. Once the engine starts to run the governor tries to close the throttle. The faster the engine turns the harder the governor tries to close the throttle. This is offset by the throttle which is usually linked by a spring. The throttle spring pulling against the governor is what keeps the engine at a stable rpm. If you cannot advance the throttle I would look over your throttle linkage and spring.

Old 11-18-14, 05:19 PM
C
Thanks for the info.

I have set it to public now. I will try to get a better video of it today as the current one is too dark to see anything. I can definitely feel when it is running that the governor is trying to close the throttle. The spring is also trying to pull against that but the governor is pulling stronger I think due to the magnets.

Once I get a better video I will post it. I will check the throttle linkage this afternoon. The spring from memory looks fine but I will check

Thanks,
Cameron

Old 11-18-14, 05:38 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,154 Upvotes on 1,929 Posts
I really doubt it's the magnets. It's probably a throttle linkage or spring issue.

Old 11-18-14, 06:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Hard to say from what is shown, but if there is no spot on the linkage that is hitting the flywheel, then there is something wrong with the governor inside the engine.

Old 11-19-14, 06:15 AM
C
Hi Guys,

Cheers for your help. From the looks of it i have overlooked the fact that I just had to bend the throttle where the spring connects to to get the rpm correct. It is still moving back and forth at idle but doesn't seem to be causing any problems.

Here is a better video of it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEdO...Q&spfreload=10

Thanks all. Kind of a silly problem but seems to be fixed.
Another question. Anyone know what the rpm at idle and at full throttle should be?

Thanks,
Cameron

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: