Simplicity Sunstar Transmission Output Shaft

Old 11-23-14, 09:47 AM
W
Received 42 Upvotes on 38 Posts
Simplicity Sunstar Transmission Output Shaft

I have a Simplicity Sunstar Tractor Model # 1692135 that powers a rear 3200 RPM PTO kit. I finally found the difficulty in activating the blower. (It worked for two lawns and then wouldnt engage) The output (male) splined shaft is worn out, and the female coupling on the kit required to power the blower that has the electric clutch etc is worn out as well. I have part numbers for both of these parts, and I have to find out if I can still get them etc. I can easily replace the female coupling, but the male splined shaft is part of the hydrostat. Will the hydro have to be removed from the tractor completely to reinstall the new part, if I can get one, or is there a faster way to do this?

Old 11-30-14, 08:56 AM
W
Simplicity Sunstart Transmission Output Shaft

I found out from Simplicity that if the only way to repair (if it actually needs it) the transmission (male) spined output shaft is to take out the hydro trans and then remove the shaft. I have removed the female (internal splined) coupling and from the look of it, it is completely worn out. The male side of the transmission output shaft may not be. Simplicity sent me some measurements of their part (the coupling) but could not give me the original measurements of the male splined shaft as that was from another company. I am trying to match the measurement I have from the Transmission side of the shaft to the measurements on the coupling, but I do not know what these mean. The title o the drawing was INTERNAL INVOLUTE SPLINE DATA

Base Diameter
Pitch diameter
Major Diameter
Form diameter A number very close to the actual reading I got on the male part ".720"
Minor diameter

Circular Space width Max actual and Min Effective (a .06xx number)

I do not want to buy a new coupling if it wont work with the current shaft. Any advice?

Old 11-30-14, 11:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Those titles for the measurements aren't really descriptive enough to know what they are referring to. Usually on the male shaft, there are splines that were in the coupling and they extend back far up the shaft where the coupling didn't go... in other words, part of the splines never was in contact with the coupling and has no wear on it. I compare the worn part that has been in constant contact with the coupling to the un-worn part to gauge how worn it is. Hopefully that's the case on yours... I don't know. usually if the splines aren't sharp on the corners or rounded, it's still good enough to run.

Old 12-01-14, 08:07 AM
W
That makes sense. I probably have 1/8" that remained unworn toward the tranny case. I should have run my own checks that way front to back duh

Thanks!

Old 12-13-14, 07:56 PM
W
Output shaft

I stumbled onto a guy who rebuilds heavy equipment shafts and couplers as a side business. I took everything out to him today and he determined that the splined male shaft has enough left on it to power my system when I replace the worn out female part. (He cut off the original worn out part and turned it around, slippped it on the shaft and there was quite a bit of grip left that way)
I did not ask him what the electric clutch adjustment was for reassembly. This attachment is Simplicity model #1691002 Serial # 001096 (REAR PTO Blower Assembly) I have a smaller electric clutch that uses .012 to .018 all the way around obviously, but I'm not sure if this is the same. I do not have a book for the attachment.

Almost there!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: