Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

No Power Coming Out of Generator - Engine Fine

11-24-14, 03:56 PM   #1  
No Power Coming Out of Generator - Engine Fine

Hi -

I have a Briggs and Stratton Storm Responder 5500 watt generator. Engine runs perfect, but I'm not getting any power to the outlets.

So far I have tried flashing the field using a power drill, but no luck. There is a small LED that lights up the panel. It turns on when you turn the circuit breaker on, and when I ran the drill, the light got much brighter every time I turned the chuck backwards.

I then went to test to see if there was any voltage going to the AVR, but turns out this unit did not have one.

I don't know what to do. Trying to fix it myself if I can. Any help would be appreciated!

Best,
Generator Jimmy

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NJ

11-24-14, 09:01 PM   #2  
Welcome to the forums.

A model number would be a very helpful first step. With that we should be able to dig up a service manual or at least a schematic of your unit.

11-25-14, 11:34 AM   #3  
Thanks PJmax. Here you go: Model: 030430

PA

11-25-14, 11:28 PM   #4  
Are your connections tight? That's the next thing I would check. Also take the circuit breaker out and check it's continuity.

11-26-14, 06:33 AM   #5  
Thanks. I'll try checking the circuit breaker. I'll need to figure out how to check the continuity though.

12-01-14, 08:04 AM   #6  
Circuit breaker was fine. Also removed the brushes and it seemed fine, but not really sure how to diagnose faulty brushes. I think I've reached the end of my ability to fix this. Thank you for the replies.

Group Moderator

NJ

12-01-14, 05:26 PM   #7  
There are two wiring diagrams at the bottom of the six listed breakdown pictures. The wiring diagrams show the generator windings that would need to be checked.

Illustrated Parts List (6)

NY

12-04-14, 06:43 AM   #8  
Try flashing it. There are u tube videos about, but as I recall, you put a 9 volt battery across one of the110 volt receptacles for an instant as it is running. Be careful, wear eye protection.
Sid

12-12-14, 06:59 AM   #9  
Thanks all for your help. Got it fixed. Looks like something in the brush unit was bad.

Search this Thread