Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

craftsman lawn mower briggs & Stratton Engine-gas leaks

NY

11-29-14, 01:06 PM   #1  
craftsman lawn mower briggs & Stratton Engine-gas leaks

My Craftsman 6 lawnmower with a briggs and Stratton engine leaks gas out of the carburetor. At first I did not check closely where it leaked from so I just purchased a new fuel line. It still leaked so I did narrow it down to inside the carb. I did replace the gaskets and the pin and small 1/8" gasket in the float and put a new spark plug. I did get a new air filter assembly but did not put it on so I could see the leak. Is it possible the engine is in the on position even without depressing the big lever on the handle? When I manually move the throttle it closes the choke. I can get the engine number if necessary. I want to mow the leaves instead of bagging them.

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

VA

11-29-14, 01:58 PM   #2  
The floats sticking.
All the stuff you did was useless to fix it.
Carburetor needs to be removed, cleaned with carburetor cleaner and rebuilt.
Bet you have been using eternal gas.
Find a place selling nonethanol fuel or at least add an additive to counter act the effects of it.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

11-29-14, 03:35 PM   #3  
Your float needle is leaking, either because it is dirty, the seat is dirty, or the float is stuck. You might stop the leak by cleaning the needle with carb cleaner and clean the seat with a q-tip and carb cleaner. Best bet would be to clean the seat and replace the needle. If yours has a rubber seat, it will need replacing.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

NY

11-29-14, 07:27 PM   #4  
leaking carb

I replaced the needle and pin. I cleaned the bowl. I did not do much with the float. I will redo tomorrow and make sure flow valve moves freely I haven't used the lawnmower in 2 years and ran it dry. I will buy a new float since I did not get a new one. model 917.387500

VT

11-30-14, 09:35 AM   #5  
You don't need a new float unless the current one doesn't "float".

Old float or new float, no one will know unless they can see inside your bowl.

NY

11-30-14, 10:18 AM   #6  
the guy looked at the float and said it was fine since there was no gas inside it and it can float. he sold me a new bowl since the old one was dented slightly, new gaskets, and a new seat and needle. He didn't like the was the seat was seated. did all that and same problem. it does start for a split second if I put quick start in the spark plug. due to the gas leaking, it can easily blow up. I Will take it apart again. Maybe the throttle is always on and causing the gas to leak?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

11-30-14, 11:16 AM   #7  
The throttle doesn't turn on or off. The float is supposed to shut the gas off. If it's leaking gas inside the carburetor, the needle is not sealing against the seat. That's the only thing that will cause this unless the seat was installed improperly or in a dirty bore, then gas can leak around the seat, but usually very very slowly... so slowly that it takes hours to notice the leak normally.

God bless!

NY

11-30-14, 02:41 PM   #8  
Dear Vermont, Cheese and Joe,
Redid all and cleaned seat area with q tip and made sure seat was all the way down. Disconnected throttle and manually set it. No more leak. Used quick start since it wouldn't start. Adjusted throttle and cut lawn, and mulched leaves. Seems I had to restart with quick start in either spark plug or in carb but it stayed on. Thank u all so much.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

11-30-14, 10:05 PM   #9  
Great, glad we could help!

God bless!

Search this Thread