Murray Snowblower won't start unless I put gas in carb

Old 11-25-14, 09:53 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Murray Snowblower won't start unless I put gas in carb

Hi! need help/advice! I have a Murray snow blower and it worked fine till it was stored away for the winter...then in the fall tried to start it up and nothing...but if we put gas in the carb it starts but gas is not coming up so it stops...we've checked a few things and it seems there's a gas leak from the primmer button...could it be possibly simply having to change that? i don't know i am not very mechanically inclined lol any advice/help would be appreciated..i am just scared bringing it somewhere and getting screwed Thanks!!!

Old 11-25-14, 11:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Sounds like the carburetor needs to be cleaned. Get a can of spray carburetor cleaner from the auto parts store, take the bowl off the carburetor, and clean the crud out of the bow. You also want to make sure the float and needle aren't stuck or leaking, and spray cleaner up through the holes in the bottom of the carb where the bolt that holds the bowl on goes. This is a minimal cleaning, but usually sufficient.

Old 11-25-14, 11:34 AM
G
Thanks Cheese!!! i will surely give that a try!!! much appreciated

Old 11-30-14, 12:50 PM
S
Being there is a gas leak from the primer I would begin there. I've always tried correcting what's known wrong first hoping that will solve the problem and often it does. I've read that a leak there allows air admittance which could prevent gas from being drawn from the carb bowl and through the orifice it is intended to go through.

Old 12-03-14, 06:41 AM
G
Thanks! i have actually not had a chance to look into it further...but yes when i press the primer you can hear the gas coming there but i guess it doesn't go passed it to get to the carbs...seems like i have to take apart alot of stuff to get there not sure if i should try or just bring it to someone...but i don't know anyone that does this and i am afraid to get screwed...

Old 12-03-14, 07:31 AM
A
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
You need to post the model numbers from the engine so we know what you are looking at.

Old 12-03-14, 09:48 AM
G
ok i will find it tonight when im at home thanks

Old 12-05-14, 01:41 PM
G
Ok so it's a Murray Select 10/29 powersteer if that helps?

Old 12-06-14, 07:23 AM
A
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Sorry no need the numbers that are on the engine.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: