Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Thoughts on snowblower idle? (video)

MA

12-06-14, 02:44 PM   #1  
Thoughts on snowblower idle? (video)

This is my 17 year old Tecumseh powered snowblower, used a dozen times or less per year, I've tried to drain the carb each year but for the last couple years I couldn't run it without the choke partially on, and prepping it for this winter it really didn't want to stay running, even after a new plug, oil and halfassed carb cleaning. Instead of rebuilding the carb I bought a new one for $15, now it runs much better. But it still hunts around with the choke off, runs a touch better with the choke slightly on. Maybe I'm expecting too much or haven't run it long enough, any thoughts based on the video? It looks like I have one adjustment screw, the original carb had no such option.

Thanks.

http://youtu.be/aojq6A7dnPc

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

VA

12-06-14, 03:54 PM   #2  
Trying to run it with the old gas in it?
Tried adding some Sea Foam in the gas?
Been using ethanol gas? Find a place that sells nonethanol or at least add an additive that counter acts the effects of it.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

12-06-14, 04:05 PM   #3  
It's running slightly lean. See that black cap behind the metal bracket on the side of the carb facing the camera? Pop that off and there is a tiny jet behind it. Unscrew it and poke a tiny wire through it to clear it out good. My guess is either something is interfering with that jet or the jet is a hair too small. Passing a torch tip cleaner through it a time or two would probably make all the difference.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

MA

12-06-14, 04:19 PM   #4  
It is older 10% ethanol gas, probably six months old with stabil in it. I'll get some fresh gas tomorrow and give it a go, then try cleaning the jet.

Thanks for the suggestions.

VT

12-06-14, 05:48 PM   #5  
That same little jet (?) caused me some serious surging issues after only 4 or 5 years. It was almost completely blocked with a whitish cakey deposit.

Simply cleaning it out with a small wire caused that carb to straighten up and fly right !

Search this Thread