Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

shear pin of snowblower

ME

12-10-14, 10:33 AM   #1  
shear pin of snowblower

I have a MTD Topflight snowblower model 310 800 120, serial F189B with a Tecumseh motor. Lately, the shear pin located on the left wheel axle keeps breaking. I have replaced it with no. 2 bolts, and then with no. 8 shear pin bolts. I know most discussions regarding shear pins are for the auger but my problem is with the pin that secures the left wheel onto the shaft. As you know, each wheel includes a hub having a hole which aligns with a hole found on the drive shaft. A shear pin is inserted within each hole to secure the wheels onto the shaft. I dont understand why the left shear pin of the left wheel keeps breaking. I have changed such a pin maybe 4 times in the last 6 years but now its every time I use the snowblower. Can anyone suggest what maybe causing this and what part number I would use for a shear pin replacement?

Sponsored Links
Temporarily Suspended

NY

12-10-14, 10:41 AM   #2  
My guess is that extra pressure is being put on that side. Can the tire pressure be regulated? If so, are both sides the same? Swap the wheels. See if that makes a difference. Also, check for excessive play.

CO

12-11-14, 07:46 AM   #3  
MTD used clik-pins part number 714-0143:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]43132[/ATTACH]

If you use a bolt it should be partially threaded so that no threads are in the rim and you should not tighten it must spin when it is installed use a lock nut.

Attached Images

ME

12-11-14, 08:13 AM   #4  
Thank you aj allen. I have used threaded bolts and have tightened them so that they do not spin. I will be trying your advice in the next 3 days and let you know. with many thanks!

NY

12-12-14, 08:24 AM   #5  
Ars you sure that both wheels are being driven?
Sid

Search this Thread