gx340 charging

Old 01-05-15, 10:02 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
gx340 charging

Hi,

I restore go karts for fun, and know small engine basics, but have never really got the hang of electric start engines.

The Problem: purchased a honda gx340 w/10 amp charge coil(confirmed), and the starter/solenoid. No additional wiring is present (e.g. harness, regulator/rectifier etc) and I also have 2 junk honda gx620's w/key start boxes/harnesses, 20 amp reg/rectifier etc...

My Question: Can I use the key start box/wiring harness/20 amp reg/rectifier from the gx620 on the gx340?

Is there a how to read a wiring diagram for retards webpage somewhere? Thanks in advance for any advice.

My main question is about the regulator/rectifier functionality from a 20 amp system installed on the 10 amp system... no clue there, but i think i can figure the rest out.

Old 01-05-15, 11:58 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,154 Upvotes on 1,929 Posts
I've never tried swapping but since you are going to a lower amperage I think it would be OK.

What are you having trouble with as far as a wiring diagram?

Usually the trickiest part I find with Honda's is their ignition wires work opposite. On a Briggs or other engine you usually short the ignition wire to ground to kill the engine. With a Honda you have to keep it shorted to ground for the engine to run and when you open the connection the engine dies.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: