16hp Van Guard only runs with the Choke OUT!!

Old 12-18-14, 04:26 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
16hp Van Guard only runs with the Choke OUT!!

Its been a not so good week my stuff going out on me.
1st hole in my pressure washer hose.

Now my engine will not run good unless you keep the choke out...
I just bought this rig a month ago 4000psi pressure washer with this 16hp vanguard.. Now it runs and will stay running you just have to keep the choke out..

It has been running a bit ruff today I got new plugs and a new Air cleaner just because that's about all I know to do fixing a engine its just not running good wide open like it should..

Old 12-18-14, 05:14 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
If something only runs with the choke activated, that could mean that air is entering where it shouldn't. For example, loose hold down nuts on a carb or intake manifold.

Old 12-18-14, 07:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
95% or more, this is caused by a blocked carburetor. The main jet is most likely partially clogged. Cleaning the carb should fix it.

Old 01-05-15, 09:31 AM
N
I have had a similar problem with a Brigg and Stratton engine. Consider this. Most likely you are using fuel that contains some ethanol. Also, B&S has cheapened construction by using a small plastic donut in the place of a brass seat for the float needle. Those apparently swell up when exposed over time to ethanol containing fuel. When they swell up, that has the effect of changing the float setting....and in fact the same effect that you'd have if you made the float close off the fuel flow with less fuel in the fuel bowl.....eventually you get to the point where you need the choke to get adequate fuel to run properly under any kind of load.....I know of no fix other than to replace the small seat ring. They are exorbitantly priced for what they are, but there Is no option that I can see....

Old 01-05-15, 10:36 AM
F
I do not use non ethanol fuel that cost me $3.99 a gallon. I just bought this pressure washer and man told me only use non ethanol fuel that is all i have ever put in it. I had never used that before and knew that it was priced that high..
But I do agree it is a carb problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: