Got piston un-seized, now what?

Old 01-09-15, 11:47 AM
Got piston un-seized, now what?

Craftsman 9hp snowblower engine seized because I think oil lost its lubricating properties. Poured penetrating oil down spark plug hole and tapped fly wheel. Got it freed up. Temp outside is 4 degrees so it is spitting gelled penetrating oil out spark plug hole. Looks like Vaseline. How do I clean up that gelled oil in cylinder? Maybe pour gas in cylinder and work it until gas evaporates?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-15, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator
Well, I'm no small engine mechanic, but if it lost lube, then the cylinders and pistons are likely galled and you will need a hone or re-sleeve and new rings at a minimum.

Old 01-09-15, 12:28 PM
A compression test will verify. But most likely Gunguy is correct.

Old 01-09-15, 12:35 PM
I would suggest trying to pull the head. Any time I free up an engine I never use the spark plug hole, that sounds like a mess, but I have never found one easy enough to free by the fly wheel, I always had to pound down on the pistons.

Agreeing with the other guys, I would say your sleve and rings are not in mint condition anymore, but that does not mean you cannot get it running. It may just lack some power. And, there is a chance that replacing the rings may solve much of those issues, depending on what kind of torture the sleve under went.

To clean up your mess you should tear more of it a part. Depending on the engines, that goop mess could have made it into the lifters, intake, exhaust, etc. Although it is not horrible, you will most certainly have a pain staking time trying to start an engine with any goop like that inside of it.

Old 01-09-15, 02:38 PM
Thumbs up Got it working!

Poured some gas down the plug hole and pulled the cord to cycle it through several times. Hoping it would dissolve the gelled penetrating oil and then evaporate. Changed the oil in the engine. Cleaned up and installed spark plug. Took many pulls and some extra priming, but it fired. Gave off some harsh exhaust for a minute and then cleared up. Runs like a charm now! Thanks for input.

Old 01-09-15, 02:57 PM
Keep an eye on the oil, and change it again if it smells like gasoline. Between the penetrating oil and raw gas in the cylinder, you could get some significant blow by for a while.

Old 01-09-15, 03:58 PM
It may sound fine now but will it keep running under a load? Have that compression tested.