Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Generac 7550EXL Leaking Oil

PA

01-18-15, 11:34 PM   #1  
Generac 7550EXL Leaking Oil

I had my Generac 7550EXL portable generator running for about 20 hours straight last week. After putting it in the garage, I noticed a puddle of oil under it, as well as oil in a line around where the engine connects to the generator head, as well as my siding. (Leaking from that seal) I called up a few small engine shops, and most of them wouldn't touch it because of it being made by Generac, and the one that would quoted me almost $900. Is this a DIY project? I was told the entire generator head needs to come apart, and the commutator might need replacing if it gets damaged. What do you guys think?

Sponsored Links

WA

01-19-15, 12:07 AM   #2  
Why would that generator have a commutator? Slip rings, maybe if it does not have a brushless exciter.

I would think it was DIY-able but finding a seal might be a bit difficult if Generac sells only to authorized repair facilities.

PA

01-19-15, 10:05 AM   #3  
Why would that generator have a commutator? Slip rings, maybe if it does not have a brushless exciter.
That's what I was told, I figured he meant the inner part (Stator?) that excites the outer parts.
I would think it was DIY-able but finding a seal might be a bit difficult if Generac sells only to authorized repair facilities.

I can get the parts from this place, I got them from here before.

WA

01-19-15, 01:34 PM   #4  
According to E-parts everything on that unit is obsolete and unavailable. Generac 7550EXL Parts List and Diagram : eReplacementParts.com

Here is a parts illustration book. http://www.arkansas-ope.com/GENERAC_GEN_IPL_01470-1

I see ONE brushholder assembly but I have no idea what it is for. Otherwise, it looks to be fairly straightforward. Notice the rotor has a hollow shaft with a long bolt to hold it on the engine shaft. Also notice that there are both Metric and American hardware used.

PA

01-19-15, 11:46 PM   #5  
According to E-parts everything on that unit is obsolete and unavailable. Generac 7550EXL Parts List and Diagram : eReplacementParts.com

Here is a parts illustration book. http://www.arkansas-ope.com/GENERAC_GEN_IPL_01470-1

I see ONE brushholder assembly but I have no idea what it is for. Otherwise, it looks to be fairly straightforward. Notice the rotor has a hollow shaft with a long bolt to hold it on the engine shaft. Also notice that there are both Metric and American hardware used.

From my experience, the small engine shop I normally deal with can get new parts for my 4000EXL. I'm sure they can get the parts.

Now that I see those blown-up instructions, it does look pretty easy to take apart.

I've experienced the mix of hardware for no rhyme or reason.

If I can not get parts, what's your opinion on putting on either a Kohler Command series engine, or a little air-cooled diesel? That would be awesome....

WA

01-20-15, 12:26 AM   #6  
I'm quite certain that you can get a new oil seal but you would probably need to do so based on the measurements rather than by a Generac part number. Hardware is also probably fairly easy. Parts that were made specifically for that generator would be a bit harder to come by but a good parts person familiar with small generators may be able to find equivalent parts without too much trouble.

As for coupling the generator to a different engine...you would have to have an engine that had the same length of shaft extension AND the same taper to match the internal taper of the stator shaft. Add that the mounting would have to be the same or an adapter plate fabricated and that makes it much more difficult. At that point it might make some sense to make an end plate with a bearing and then fabricate a shaft extension to mount a pulley and get an engine large enough that you could run the engine at 2400 (or even better 1800) rpm and belt-drive the generator at the required 3600 rpm. Of course that also leaves a question of a proper governor for the new engine to be fitted.

It certainly could be done but unless you have a lathe and other tools it would be expensive and the finished unit just not worth the cost in time or money. Honestly, if it were mine and I couldn't get away with just replacing the shaft seal on the engine I would junk it.

TX

01-20-15, 07:22 AM   #7  
One of Furd's suggestions.
I was given the Onan 1700W generator minus engine. Kicked it around for years and finally decided to connect it to a not used 5 hp Tecumseh. Here is the result. It functions well and serves my needs quite well. Later it acquired shielding, a carry handle, and spring mounts. Next up is a wheel kit.

Attachment 45221

RR

PA

01-21-15, 06:17 PM   #8  
Thanks for all of your imput. I'll post back when I get started. I got a friend going to college in New York for ag/diesel so I'm gonna wait til he's home until I do it.

Search this Thread