Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Trencher has water in muffler -buy or pass?

TX

01-26-15, 07:57 AM   #1  
Trencher has water in muffler -buy or pass?

Took a look at a trencher yesterday, 1974 Ditch Witch. Water came out of the muffler, the top muffler pipe danced around a lot (plenty of space for water to enter, and we've had lots of rain. Not sure how long the guy had it sitting out. Dug like a beast and the guy is asking $850.00.

Would you buy this thing knowing about the water, or pass?

I can change the muffler, add new tires, etc, for another $225 to $250. Luckily, he had a hard time starting it the first time and I think I could repeat the steps. Second time around, it started up on it's own.

Sponsored Links

TX

01-26-15, 08:19 AM   #2  
If it cranked and was able to dig a ditch, then no worry about the water.
I see lots of slack in digging chain. Check to see if nose roller is worn. Chains and rollers are pricey items.
Rebuilt a nose roller last year by building up with weld and machining back to size. Also replaced nose roller bearing as it was locked. It was a common ag service bearing (used in disc harrows) that I bought at local JD dealer instead of ordering through DW.
If you have use for it the $850 is just a few rentals.

RR

TX

01-26-15, 08:23 AM   #3  
I think a week rental is $750 or so long as it lasts the week, I'm good. Have to dig 8 to 10 trenches on my property but also have a funky/unpredictable work schedule.

Thanks for the input, RR.

VT

01-26-15, 02:21 PM   #4  
Doesn't that vertical muffler have a little flapper on the top that prevents rain water from entering when it's not running ?

They make a little rattling noise at an idle; but are still worth installing .

TX

01-26-15, 05:01 PM   #5  
It has the flapper but the pipe itself, once you get past the actual muffler, is loose and dances around like a hula girl.

VT

01-27-15, 04:56 AM   #6  
Do you think the Seller would be insulted if you offered him $650.00? CASH ?

Clearly, he hasn't devoted much effort to preparing the unit for sale.

If you're in the ballpark, the worst thing that can happen is he'll say "No" !

Search this Thread