New Ariens Compact 24 snowblower impeller noise

Old 01-27-15, 06:31 PM
New Ariens Compact 24 snowblower impeller noise

Finally had enough snow to use my new Compact 24. When running with the auger disengaged, the impeller looks like something in the engine is fighting to turn it. Every few seconds it turns a few degrees in a stutter-like motion. Each time it does, it makes a but of a clunking noise coming from inside the crank case/transmission. However, when I engage the auger, the impeller and auger spin normally and he noise disappears. It will throw snow just fine. However, upon disengaging the auger again, the noise returns.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-15, 04:00 AM
Just a guess...The belt might be a little to tight and is still engaging the pulley when in dis-engaged mode.

Old 01-28-15, 05:40 AM
Re:
Just a guess...The belt might be a little to tight and is still engaging the pulley when in dis-engaged mode.
Thanks. But, I don't think that is it. I did pull off the shroud over the pulleys and saw that the belt is sufficiently loose. I'll check again, as I've been proven wrong before, but my recollection is that something inside the crank case that was causing this issue. I'll see if I can upload a short video clip of what's happening later tonight.

Old 01-28-15, 07:15 PM
Compact 24 impeller continuation

I was not able to upload a video to this site (looks like images are only allowed). So, I uploaded my video to Youtube. Here is the link: http://youtu.be/leln73f3hek

As you can see, it looks like something inside the crank case is still partially engaging the impeller. I double checked the belts and it isn't an overly tight pulley. The amount of movement shown in the video seems pretty minor, but I think that is because the engine hasn't really warmed up. When I was using it to blow snow 2 days ago, it was much worse. From a distance, just listening to it, you would swear there is something metal being bounced around inside (but that isn't really the case) - the sound comes from each partial engagement.

This is pretty much a brand new machine. I've used it exactly 1 time. I had to borrow a vehicle to get it home. Not that I can't do that again, but i really hate asking for favors. If it truly is broken, I will find a way to try to return it, however, if someone can tell me if this is normal and will go away or at least not damage anything, I will just keep it due to the amount of effort it will take to exchange it.

Old 01-29-15, 03:39 AM
Unfortunately the video doesn't really tell me much. However I do believe you. If you've seen any of my past post you'll know I'm not a big fan of Ariens. What you have is a very dangerous situation and needs to be rectified immediately. Most likely it's the clutch tension cable that needs adjustment. If you turn the unit upside down by pulling the handles forward until the snow blower rest on the front auger and scoop section you can remove the bottom plate. Look inside and see what might be interfering. However, that tension can be adjusted without removing the bottom plate.

Go to this site and download the manual and find the specific model and look for the adjustment for the drive clutch cable.

http://ariens.custhelp.com/app/answe...eTFuZVJGZG0%3D

The other thing you might do is go back to the dealer and have them do it and tell them its a dangerous situation and you expect it done for free.

If you give me the exact model and serial number I'll look at the manual and try and pin point the adjustment you need to make. I'll be working for the next several days so it might take me a few days to get back to you.

Last edited by Norm201; 01-29-15 at 05:23 AM. Reason: added link to Arein's manuals
Old 01-29-15, 03:58 AM
With that unit being so new, it may be that the symptom you see will go away as the belt gets broken in a bit. Right now, the belt may have a memory of the position it was in after manufacture and during shipment; which would explain that intermittent pulsation.

Next year you might be tightening it !

Old 01-29-15, 04:30 AM
Disagree.

That should not happen. Either it's engaged or not! That is a serious and dangerous situation. I know, I had a similar situation on my brand new first used Ariens. Almost hit my new car and if an individual was there there would've been an injury.