12 HP briggs & Stratton carburetor problem

Old 01-28-15, 09:16 PM
12 HP briggs & Stratton carburetor problem

Hi all, I have an old Cox Orion xl ride on mower, with a 12 HP briggs engine.
It has the old style one piece carby, I have just replaced the original carby with another one I picked up, I used carby cleaner to clean the jets, but couldn't unscrew the jet that goes up from the bowl into the carby, somebody has butchered the screw head.

My problem is, when I start it with the choke engaged it runs but as soon as I go to accelerate it just cuts out on me.
I don't know much about theses engines but guessing that it is that jet that I couldn't unscrew is probably blocked up, but don't know how to get it out if it turns out to be the cause, so any help would be appreciated.
thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-15, 09:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you can't unscrew it, you either have to use an easy out to get it out, or try to clean it while it's in the carb. You may have to soak the carb in a bath type cleaner and flush it with water and compressed air to get it clean without removing the jet. I assume you tried opening the high speed mixture screw a bit, correct?

Old 01-28-15, 09:34 PM
Thanks for your reply and the advise, yes I did try opening the high speed screw but did nothing.
I will go to the hardware shop tomorrow to see if they have that easy out devise. if not I will try your other method, thanks again.

Old 01-29-15, 06:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Using an easy out will destroy it, so be prepared to buy a replacement jet.

Old 01-29-15, 10:24 PM
Thanks, I haven't had a chance to do anything yet but it is ok, I do have another one I can replace it with.

Old 02-04-15, 06:23 PM
Need some more help please, after trying the overnight soak procedure it still wasn't running very good but at least it would run for longer before cutting out so I eventually got that main jet out [ the one above the float] with an easy out device and replaced it, all jets are very clean.

My initial settings were idle 1&1/2 turns out from all the way in and also the high side settings the same but no matter how I try to adjust them I still get very choppy sound from the exhaust, so once again I would appreciate any help.
thanks

Old 02-05-15, 01:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
1 1/2 turns out is normal for the low speed, but adjust the high speed for best performance. The number of turns can vary from one to another.

Is this unit old enough to have points? What is the engine model and code?

Old 02-05-15, 04:39 PM
Thanks for the information about the high side adjustment.

The number on the engine is 281707-0149-01-90030531.

Old 02-06-15, 09:52 AM
Old 02-06-15, 01:53 PM
Thank you for that, very interesting.