Ariens Snow Blower - Tecumseh Engine - Cuts out after 10 minutes or so.

Old 02-05-15, 06:26 AM
Ariens Snow Blower - Tecumseh Engine - Cuts out after 10 minutes or so.

Hi

Need a second opinion (more likely a confirmation that I'm on the right track).

My Engine is cutting out after about 10 minutes of running or so and then it will restart but only run for 5 or so and so on until it will not start at all until I leave it overnight.

I've cleaned the bowl, jets, etc... I've tried leaving the fuel cap open. Replaced the spark plug and it will not stop cutting out. I then attached my spark plug tester inline between the spark plug and ignitor and the flicker is constant until the engine starts to struggle a little and then the flicker starts to become iratic.

I'm thinking that as the engine / coil heats up the ignition coil / module is starting to fail. My next step I think is to replace that.

Is that the correct path here ?

Thanks

Mick999

Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-15, 06:39 AM
Group Moderator
Yep, when coils are near death they sometimes stop working when they get hot. Eventually it will quit working altogether.

Old 02-05-15, 06:51 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Try to sand the contact first. According to another forum, that's what one guy did & another drilled a vent hole in the gas cap.

http://www.diyforums.net/snowblower-...s-4785014.html

Also, is there a mixture adjustment on the carb? That might not cause the engine to stall but it would make it run better, in general.

Old 02-06-15, 09:36 AM
The current carb only has one adjustment - for the idle I guess. I'm going to completely remove the carb and give it a thorough clean. The guys at the parts shop said that they would do that first before buying a new coil.

Will let you know how it all goes.

Old 02-06-15, 10:11 AM
Temporarily Suspended
What about sanding the contact on the coil or replacing the wire? If the carb is dirty, it's dirty all the time not just when it's hot.

Old 02-07-15, 10:30 AM
I am suspecting the coil too. Loosen the gas cap as mentioned and see if it starts. Usually you can check the coil with an Ohm Meter.