Murray 2 Stage Snowblower ? Auger Cable issue

Old 02-07-15, 12:29 AM
Murray 2 Stage Snowblower ? Auger Cable issue

Hello,

I have a Murray Snowblower, Model G2784000 Code:6239 with a Tecumseh 8HP Model HMSK80. It's old, I bought it in 1996 but it is very well cared for and well maintained every year. After the last snow storm, I finished the driveway and everything was fine. The next day I started her up to finish cleaning up a little and when I pressed the auger handle down, the auger would not engage. I checked shear pins, they are fine, I checked the auger cable, right side, from the handle to the bottom of the frame and that is fine. That one had snapped on me a while back and I replaced it. I then began to check the other auger cable, I believe it's called the B cable and it appears not to be functioning properly. Usually, when I engage the auger, that B cable, it has a round eye that connects to the spring that is connected to the other auger cable, does not seem to be operating correctly. It normally pulls out a little when I depress the handle to engage the auger and when I let go of the handle it goes back in. Now it has been very cold the last few days and nights, around 0 or so, I am in northern NJ. I believe this is the part that I need to replace. I did open up the cover to check the auger cable and the belts, I sprayed some WD40 on the ends of the cable and the plates and stuff its connected to. This seemed to help and I was able to operate the blower but now its not right again. The next day, the auger seems to be party engaged without the handle pressed and when I try to move the plate, to get the pully to connect with the belt, it doesn't move and it appears the cable is stuck and wont move.

So it appears that I will need to replace the auger cable b, part 341024MA. Has anyone replaced this cable? There doesn't seem to be much room where the cable, and this the z connector goes into the leveler that the spring is connected to. Any or ideas will be greatly appreicated!! Thanks, Bill

Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-15, 09:07 AM
Murray 96

It is a amazing that your cable lasted this long. Murray only used the cable system for 96 & 97 and they failed out of the box. in 98 the came to their senses & went back to the old way. In fact they made a service kit to repair the 96 & 97 models back to the old way. That kit is no longer available but I know what the part numbers are if you want. To replace the cable it is easiest to remove the blower assy from the drive assy remove the pulley loosen the idler assy to insert the Z bend. You should inspect the cable mount to see if it is bent. It should be a right angle. If it isn't you should bend it back & weld it or it will break. I have just loosened the idler bracket to get a little more play to insert the Z bend & not a total tear down. Spray some good lube into the cable before you install it something like Super Lube it is a synthetic lube with PTFE. WD40 isn't any good for this!! You can get a cable luber to make this easy.

Name:  cable luber.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  11.5 KB

Old 02-07-15, 02:00 PM
Wow Aj-allen, thanks for info!! If you can, can you let me know that part numbers of the fix, work around?

I work nights and when I got home this AM i checked the blower again and it was working. Its gotten a little warmer today, over freezing. I just checked it again a little while ago when I got up and it is still kinda working. But it just appears that cable is not functioning properly as you said. When I look at the B cable near the eye, it looks frayed a bit and when I release the handle it goes back but not all the way. I guess over the years this cable has gotten stretched out.

Thanks for info, I will check it out. The cable mount looks fine it is at right angle. I ordered the cable and I will give it a shot.

Thanks again for info. Bill

Old 02-07-15, 02:19 PM
Just a little more clarification, and so I'm sure, can you just confirm or a little further explanation of "remove the blower assy from the drive assy?" I think I know what you mean but wanna be sure. Sorry to bother you again! I'm not sure when I'm gonna do this as its so cold and I'm waiting for part. Thanks a lot for reply. Bill

Old 02-08-15, 12:06 PM
There are 4 that hold the blower to the drive you need to remove the bottom pan, the belt cover, disconnect the chute crank assy, disconnect the cable at the back of the machine & than the 4 bolts that hold the 2 halves together.

Parts needed for Update to replace cable:

762296MA 1 Idler Assy 64.40
711617MA 2 Washer 2.25
53703MA 2 Bushing 2.25
711682MA 1 Hair Pin 2.00
761761MA 1 Clevis Pin 4.80
761766MA 1 Spring Attach 5.70
761590MA 1 Cable Lever 9.10

Improved auger engagement:

Name:  murray snow 003.PNG
Views: 409
Size:  33.4 KB