OIL came thru my air filter in Honda GX120

Old 02-07-15, 07:44 PM
Red face OIL came thru my air filter in Honda GX120

My gx120 water pump motor was having trouble cranking and I suspected it was the impeller, it had not been used for some time and seized due to some crud build up. So ... in the process of undoing the case for the Impeller , I tilted the motor to get at some 'hard to get bolts, and in doing so oil poured out of the air filter.
After mopping up the oil , I took off the filter, and will buy a new one as the old one was old and the foam pre-filter was falling apart.
Then I resumed taking off the impeller, sanded around the tight fitting parts and it turns over fine now.
There is a spark, but it won't fire.
I took of the wire to the kill switch, as suggested in another thread, and still no go.
oil is filled to the proper level
So I am wondering if all that oil that came thru the filter is the problem. Perhaps it came thru the carburator? I know that some of it came thru the spark plug hole, because the spark plug was covered in it.

Not a real motor mechanic, but willing to give it a go. Suggestions?
thanks
Rae

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-15, 05:08 AM
Group Moderator
If the pump sat long enough for mineral deposits to bind the impeller I suspect the carburetor is gunked up from gas sitting in it. Try removing the spark plug and put a half teaspoon (1 or 2 ml) of gas into the cylinder. Re-install and connect the plug and try starting it. If it fires or sputters for a second then you've probably got a carburetor problem. If so then I would remove the carburetor. Disassemble it and give it a thorough cleaning.

Old 02-08-15, 10:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Oil in the cylinder will cause it to be hard to start. Clean the plug, put some gas in the cylinder like Pilot Dane mentioned, and see what happens when you try to start it.

Old 02-09-15, 04:48 PM
THANKS FELLAS
Yes the motor sputtered, (turn over a few times firing) So, I guess next step is to remove Carby and give it a clean. I did notice that the carby 'flap' is starting to have surface rust...so that tells you that it hadn't been started in a couple of years. Not a very good thing to have to admit.

I would imagine that a few O-rings and such will also have to be replaced.
What about the gaskets? Will they be re-useable normally, or is it simply a question of inspection?
I suppose these are foolish questions.
Thanks for the tip about the petrol in the spark plug hole.

Rae

Old 02-09-15, 11:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yeah, the gaskets should be fine to reuse.

Old 02-10-15, 06:55 AM
Group Moderator
Also since the engine has sat a long time I would do an oil change before running it. Make sure you fill it to a certain level and make a note of the oil level. After you get the carb cleaned and the engine running check the oil level. If it rises it can indicate that you still have trouble in the carb.

Old 02-10-15, 11:15 PM
thanks
will let you know how things go when I finish.
Amateur hour(s).

Old 02-19-15, 01:54 PM
Yes...well I got the carby apart...well most of it. The piece down the middle was hard to screw out, as it was RUSTY. how did water get in there? With some WD40 left in it overnite and a tap with the hammer it finally unscrewed out. Then the emulsion tube below it with various holes would not follow it.
So I gave up. There was no way to get it out. It was supposed to slip out easily.
The butterfly throttle piece was rusty on its edges too. The sediment bowl was clean, but the fuel bowl was , again, rustry inside. How?
Anyway, I finally found a cheap one on Ebay from China for 22 $ including postage.. brand new....and that is the route I took , as I couldn't get that last emulsion tube. to get rid of any rust there may have been.
Now I just hope this China made copy will do the job. 77 of them had been sold on the site, so I guess they work. And the one sold here in Australia, looks identical. Probabaly came from China. It was 35$ and looked exactly the same....but was NOT the one sold by HONDA.
Thanks again for your help fellas. I will let you know if the Chinese one works. (so much is made in China these days anyway it seems, that I can't feel that I have let our manufacturing industry down)

Old 02-19-15, 04:12 PM
Group Moderator
Good luck. I've seen good ones and I've seen bad clone carburetors.

I can't blame it on the Chinese. Hondas, iPhones and many other quality products are made in China so they are very capable of high quality production but we want often want cheap so cheap is what we get.