Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

How do I remove this auger pulley?

CANADA

02-07-15, 08:30 PM   #1  
How do I remove this auger pulley?

I'm trying to change the auger blade on my Murray snowblower. I can't figure out how to remove the auger pulley from the auger shaft. In the diagram, I'm trying to remove 0060 from 0070 so that I can pull out the whole assembly.

All the DYI videos I've seen show the pulley secured to the shaft with a bolt. This one seems to be secured using two tiny set screws (0110) which are impossible to get at. What the diagram doesn't illustrate is that there's barely a half inch between the pulley and the rest of the auger housing to get to these tiny screws, and they're recessed pretty far.

Any ideas? Maybe I just don't have the right tools? Or is there another way? Thanks

Name:  download.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  38.7 KB
Name:  part_p_605719_4118791133_med.gif
Views: 202
Size:  29.5 KB

Sponsored Links
Temporarily Suspended

NY

02-07-15, 09:53 PM   #2  
2 Pc 22 In Long Reach Screwdriver Set

Maybe something like that.

Group Moderator

NJ

02-07-15, 11:08 PM   #3  
Welcome to the forums.

My Toro is similar in design. It uses the same two setscrews. Getting the setscrews out is easy. Getting the pulley to slide off the shaft is the trick.

You need to use a long 1/4" drive extension and an 8 point socket. I believe mine were 5/16".

Name:  8_PT_sockets.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  14.6 KB

With my blower.... I think I gained a little more space by removing the four auger support block bolts. Then slide the augers and blower shaft back towards the engine. Check the bearing that is right behind the pulley. I'm on my third one now.... but my machine is over 30 years old.

~ Pete ~

CANADA

02-08-15, 07:11 AM   #4  
Thanks for the response, looks easy enough.

Search this Thread