Craftsman snow thrower won't restart

Old 02-10-15, 12:24 PM
Craftsman snow thrower won't restart

I need some help here.... I have a craftsman model no. 536.881800 it has a briggs/straton motor and I believe it is a 2004 model. I recently had a problem with the auger which I ended up having to replace the worm gear in the gear box and while I had it apart I changed the oil and replaced the spark plug. I used it once or twice after that. The other day I was using it and it just quit. I thought I ran out of gas but that didn't get it started. I thought maybe I flooded it so I let it sit overnight but it wouldn't start the next day either. I pulled the plug and it was getting a little spark every few pulls. so I plugged it back in and I noticed there was a spark arcing from the backend of the plug boot to the nearest metal shield. So I figured that's why the plug wasn't getting any spark so I wrapped a towel around it and tried it. It started right up first pull. I shut it off and removed the towel and wrapped it with electrical tape so I could get the driveway done since I was pretty well buried by then. Just when I was finishing up it died again. I checked to see if the spark was coming through the boot again but I didn't see anything this time... Can someone help me out? Do I need to replace just the boot or the whole wire or is this caused by something else or what? I did find a part called a boot spark plate online which looked just like my plug boot (part no. 692927 which is a substitute part I think). If that is what I need to replace and how do I do it? does the boot section just pop off and I put the new one on?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-15, 01:33 PM
Sounds to me like you're on the right track. It's been quite some time since I have had to replace a boot, and it's a bit of a pain sometimes, but yes, it can be done. Main thing is patience, so that you don't separate the terminal from the wire. If you're careful, and don't cut into the wire, you could slice the old one open to make that part of the job a bit easier. First thing I would do though, just to be sure, is turn off the lights in the garage or wherever you have it, pull the rope a few times, and see if you can see it jumping. Back when boots and cables didn't hold up as well, I would sometimes lightly mist the boot and area around, like with a squirt bottle for plants, as it makes the arrant spark more evident.

Old 02-10-15, 02:57 PM
I pulled the boot off and it looked fine. I didn't know that there was. Piece under the boot that basically just snaps onto the plug. I thought it was part of the boot. I think the boot was just pulled up some. I pushed the boot back on as far down as I could and I heard it snap when I put it back on te plug. Started up on first pull. So the boot was just shifted exposing the metal part which is why the spark was jumping across to the metal shield piece. So we are all good now. Thanks