John Deere: self propel problems

Old 02-12-15, 10:28 AM
John Deere: self propel problems

I have a John Deere 21 inch rotary (JD14SZ on the decal) GX14SZC100337
on the plate.
When the self propell is engaged it drives the right side wheel only. I took the left side wheel assembly apart to see what was up. Gears are all ok. Shaft that runs thru the transmission is ok. (I can see it turning when I tip the mower up and activate the pulley on top of the transmission) the gear on the end of the shaft is maintained between two snap rings. I removed the outside snap ring to remove the gear.I thought it might be driven by a roll pin but no indication of a set of holes or a broken pin anywhere. There appears to be some slots machined on the inside diameter of the gear that may have had a small part that Deere used to do the job, and then maybe allowed the mower to be pulled backwards more easily? (Toro does this with their Select a Pace units) I can take the other side apart to see whats there, but I hate to make more work out of this than it already is.
Thanks for your expertise!

WML 13

Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-15, 03:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Without looking at a parts diagram, I would think this one has the woodruff key in the slot on the axle with a spring under it. It pushes out and locks the gear when it turns one way, and ratchets the other direction because the spring lets it go down into the axle enough to disengage the pawl inside the gear.

Old 02-13-15, 06:25 PM
John Deere Self Propels on right side only

Well I wouldn't have believed it until I took the gear off the right side of the axle and saw exactly what you meant. (woodruff key with a spring under it) Going back to the left side, I had to heat up the key to release it from the axle shaft as it was forced down into it, and covered with corrosion. The spring still had some life left it, but the gear must be too worn to for the key and spring to hold in place to keep the left wheel in drive mode. The drive gear part number was noted on Deeres Part website, but the spring and key were nowhere to be found. I will have to take everything to the dealer to see what they come up with I guess.

Thanks for the great info!

WML13

Old 02-14-15, 01:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Glad to help!

Old 02-16-15, 01:24 PM
John Deere Self Propels on right side only

I cleaned up the left side of the drive axle coming out of the transmission where the pinion gear is mounted. Installed a new key and spring. Cleaned up the Pinion gear and put it back on right side of the mower as they are the same gear from looking at it. I used the mint condition gear on the LEFT side to take advantage of it being in better shape. (all new parts on the left side now). Put everything back together and guess what, still doing the same thing.
I called the Deere Dealer and asked them if there were different pinion gears used on each side. They said no. I told them that when the mower drive is engaged and sitting up on blocks, that one axle shaft is spinning one direction, and the one on the left is spinning the other direction. The dealer feels that someone else has probably been inside this gearbox. I've rebuilt Toro gearboxes before but not Deere. It seemed to me that if a Toro gearbox? was re assembled incorrectly, that this same issue would occur, but I can't remember why. Am I missing anything here?

Old 02-16-15, 11:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
On the side that isn't pulling... turn the pinion gear around.

Sounds like the deere dealer is not a mechanic... that is normal operation for a transaxle. The differential causes one to turn one way and the other the other when you turn the axle shaft. If you turn the input shaft, they will both turn the same direction.

Old 02-17-15, 09:45 AM
John Deere Self propels on right side only.

That did it! (I am kicking myself about the differential action, I should have known that) All I tried to do in this process was put things back together the way they came apart, not assuming that Deere would save a few bucks by using the same pinion gear on both sides. Just for you and readers that may come across this, the pinion gear has a spacer in between it and the inner snap ring to keep the snap ring out of the machined grooves (inside the pinion gear) during assembly and operation. You have to swap both the pinion AND the spacer for everything to work correctly on the left side of the mower. The spacer will be on the OUTSIDE of the pinion gear on the left side of the mower, on the INSIDE of the Pinion on the right side.

You should change your handle from "Cheese" to "Jedi"

Thanks again!
WML13

Old 02-17-15, 03:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ha! Glad you got it and glad I could help!