Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

low oil pressure light

PA

02-27-15, 01:46 PM   #1  
low oil pressure light

I have a 2006 Simplicity XL lawn tractor, 27 hp with a Kohler gasoline engine. It's been running very well so far and I even used it a couple weeks ago to move some snow. It has been sitting in my unheated shed since. Today I went out to start it up and even though it started without any trouble it wouldn't stay running. In order to start it the brake pedal must be depressed and normally you just let the pedal go and it stays running, but right now every time I let go of the brake pedal it shuts off. I have plenty of gasoline and the oil looks good but I get a low oil pressure light on the dash. The manual tells me that if that light comes on I should turn it off right away and contact my repair shop, but perhaps someone could tell me the problem or at least give me some ideas. We have had some sub zero temps the past couple weeks here in SE Pa. so perhaps that has something to do with it; I don't know. Thank you very much.

Rich

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

02-27-15, 02:16 PM   #2  
You have checked the oil level, right? what weight oil is in it? when was the last time it was changed?

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Group Moderator

NC

02-27-15, 03:12 PM   #3  
You said it started fine when you had the brake pedal depressed. Then it quit when you released the brake. Is that when the low oil light came on? If so I suspect you might have the pto engaged or some other safety switch might be malfunctioning. The low oil light comes on because the ignition switch is in the run position and the engine is not running.

If the low oil pressure light comes on when the engine is running then there may be another issue.

PA

02-27-15, 03:26 PM   #4  
The oil level is fine and the oil looks good, too. I change the oil every spring so it was last changes last March or April.

PA

02-27-15, 03:31 PM   #5  
It is as you said. When the brake pedal is depressed the light is not on and doesn't come on until I let go of the pedal. When I let go of the brake pedal the engine shuts off and that light pops on. I will check out that pto switch tomorrow. Thanks.

Forum Topic Moderator

OH

02-27-15, 05:33 PM   #6  
Look for snow that got onto/into the electrical circuits. May need a good thaw out.

Woody

You can trust your car - and a whole lot more - to the man who wears a star.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

02-28-15, 01:21 AM   #7  
Generally when a mower shuts down when you let off the clutch pedal it's because the seat switch is not working right. Try pushing the connector on tighter on the seat switch.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Group Moderator

NC

02-28-15, 05:04 AM   #8  
I'm glad it's just a safety switch issue. It may be a bit of a bug hunt but it's pretty simple to fix compared to an engine that's been run with no oil pressure.

PA

03-11-15, 12:34 PM   #9  
Thanks for all the suggestions. It was the oil pressure switch which I replaced and the issue is solved. Thanks again.

Rich

Search this Thread