Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Honda ES6500 generator wont stay running

MI

03-14-15, 04:50 PM   #1  
Honda ES6500 generator wont stay running

I acquired a Honda ES6500. It had run in the last year.

The crank case was full of gas and oil. The gas had migrated from the tank to the crank.
Changed the oil & filter.
Removed the carb, pulled the float bowl, gently cleaned the jets with WD 40, air and a small wire. The bowl was clean when 1st disassembled.
1-1/2 gallons of fresh gas was put in the tank.
I turned on the petcock and let the gas run in a container for a minute.
Bought a new battery.
Fuse in the end of the control panel is good.
Plugs are slightly sooty but good enough to run.

It starts and runs for a couple seconds like a very small amount of gas and been metered for that quick burst then it shuts off.
Wait a second and it repeats. Just short 2 second bursts.
Loosened the gas cap, same result.
Choke makes no difference.
Tried the electrical panels breaker on and off and auto-throttle on and off, no difference.

Also I plugged a light into the 120v plug and does not come on at all while the engine runs in the short burst.
Does the engine need to be running on its own continuously before the electrical panel works?

Thanks
Kevin

Sponsored Links

WA

03-14-15, 05:19 PM   #2  
Removed the carb, pulled the float bowl, gently cleaned the jets with WD 40, air and a small wire.
For all the wonderful uses of WD-40, cleaning carburetors is NOT one of them. You need to do a proper cleaning, probably total disassembly and soaking in genuine carburetor cleaner overnight and then blowing out all the passages and reassembling with new gaskets.

Group Moderator

NJ

03-14-15, 07:06 PM   #3  
Welcome to the forums.

Many small engine servicing places have a parts cleaner tank where the entire carb can be soaked. For the few bucks they charge I'd recommend it.

~ Pete ~

MI

03-15-15, 06:34 AM   #4  
Hi guys!
I have access to a parts cleaning tank, compressed air ect ... I will take it off and give a good cleaning tomorrow at work ...

But having dealt with motor issues for the last 40 years it just doesn't "feel" like a dirty carb. At least not a fully plugged up carb. I would expect it to run a bit more erratically, but instead it is very consistent.

I see there is a solenoid with what looks to be a needle jet attached to the bottom of the carb. it "feels" like the jet is supposed to retract on startup but is not.

What should the Needle be doing when the key is turned on and how do I test it?

Group Moderator

NC

03-15-15, 06:58 AM   #5  
Fuel in the oil and filling the case with gas is a classic sign of a carburetor problem. It's probably not the carb's only problem but if you don't get the float and it's needle valve working properly you'll have flooding problems.

The solenoid stops the flow of fuel when you turn off the engine to help prevent it from backfiring. You can test the anti backfire solenoid with a 9 volt battery. When you energize it make sure you hold the tip about 1/4" away from something solid to prevent the solenoid from over traveling.

MI

03-15-15, 11:47 AM   #6  
The anti-backfire solenoid was gummed up tight.
I freed it with PB Blaster.
I tested it an when energized it comes out, so it is now working correctly.
I reassembled it and it does the same thing as before.
I unplugged the solenoid and the result was the same.
At this point I'm going to give the carb a good soaking and blow some air through it.
If that fails who is a good source for a carb rebuild kit?

Thanks!
Kevin

MI

03-28-15, 01:43 PM   #7  
Got it!!

My brother (Tom) came over today (Saturday 3-28-15) and we had at it.
Checked the valve lash and for sticky anything. It looked good.
Compression in both cylinders was great.
Spark was strong.

Got it running (very weak) and it was spitting gas out of the intake side of the carb onto my hand.
Tom cocked his head and said he wondered if the exhaust wasn't plugged.
We pulled the muffler ... wait for it .... VOOOMMM!!!! Ran like a champ!
There is a mesh screen spark arrestor under the pipe coming out of the muffler ... it was plugged.
We banged it around a bit put the muffler back on and it ran fine.

Group Moderator

NC

03-28-15, 03:05 PM   #8  
Don't you hate it when it's something simple. I'm glad you got it though. That's a good and not cheap generator so your time and effort is well worth saving it.

Search this Thread