Kohler Command, no fuel

Old 03-17-15, 04:49 PM
Kohler Command, no fuel

The Kohler Command CH20QS in my 20 year old Toro Proline mower won't start. So I checked the spark, yup that's good, put a little gas in the carburetor, yup fired right up, then, naturally, quit once that fuel ran out. Okay, fuel supply problem. I have gas in the line as far as the pump, but nothing beyond it. Took the line off going into the carburetor, cranked it, and got nothing. Next step I guess, once I have dinner, is to connect a vacuum gauge to the line from the crankcase, to see if that's okay, and, assuming it is, then the problem must be the fuel pump. Question is, and I haven't gotten as far as looking to see if there is a kit for it, but best bet to rebuild the pump or get a new one? Pretty baqsic question I guess, but I know there are several small engine guys on here, so figured someone probably has experience with these Kohler pumps.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-15, 05:47 PM
Okay, hooked a vacuum gauge to the line from the crankcase, and showed about 8-10", then back to zero, back to to 8-10", back to zero, back and forth, up and down, or whatever you want to call it as I cranked, so that seems right. Right? And drained another quart of gas from the line to the pump, no problem there, so has to be the pump. I assume there is just a diaphragm and maybe a screen or two inside it?

Old 03-17-15, 06:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
if gas is getting to the pump but not past it and the lines are connected properly then I'd say the pump is the culprit.

Old 03-17-15, 06:18 PM
Thank you, Cheese. I figured you would be along at some point! Yes, the lines are correct, just as I parked it in the fall. Just came back from pulling the pump off, opening it up, cleaning with carb cleaner, and putting it back on, but no change. Was good though, because I now see that there's nothing in there to warp or fatigue, which was one of the reasons that I wondered if I might need a whole new pump, so will see if they make a kit for it with all of the rubber doodad's, clean the plates more thoroughly, and should be good to go. Thank you.