Craftsman Task Handler 8hp Replacement Engine Question.

Old 03-19-15, 12:41 PM
Craftsman Task Handler 8hp Replacement Engine Question.

Hello All,

I have a Craftsman Task Handler Tiller that has a blown engine. First off I am new so I apologize if my terminology is incorrect.

This thing is a BEAST and I need to find a replacement engine.

Task Handler
Model# 917 299 682
SN# 0272WO1631

Engine(Not Sure on this, just copied what I could find.)
Craftsman 8HP
1 Inch Shaft
Bolts 3 1/4 in. apart.

I have found a few that I think will work but I'm not sure they will fit under the hood. I've tried to cross reference the 64840# without any results.

Any tips or a point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I'm thinking of using a Northern Tool Powerhorse or Ironton as this isn't used more than an hour or two a year.

Thanks ALL!!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-15, 01:14 PM
Think about it.
Home Depot rents tillers.

Old 03-19-15, 01:26 PM
If you only use this thing a few hours a year I have to agree with Joe. Renting one when you need it is far more economical than owning.

Old 03-19-15, 01:51 PM
It is not uncommon for engines on equipment such as this to be proprietary in some way, unique crankshaft diameter or length, or whatever, so, even if you were to purchase an engine of the same make and model, it is just as likely as not that the drive pulleys would not fit, or something like that. Then you're getting into additional time and money. I have run into this several times myself, trying to help someone out, I know that Joe has on his DR, I think it was, and I imagine that Furd has. Sure, it can be done, but the time and dollars spent could easily go beyond practical, especially given minimal usage.

Old 03-19-15, 01:55 PM
I understand where your coming from but it is 40 min to the nearest place I could rent one. This would be $60-80 plus 80 miles roundtrip. I could pay for a brand new engine in 3 years of rental. This tiller isn't a throw away product in my opinion but I do appreciate your response.

Thanks

Old 03-19-15, 01:58 PM
Plus I'm stubborn and need a hobby.. LOL

Old 03-19-15, 02:25 PM
If that's you plan then stick with B & S so you can get parts.
Only use nonethenal fuel.
Let it run out of fuel every time your done using it.
Never use old fuel!
Your hobby is going to be rebuilding the carb, every year to get it to start.

Old 03-20-15, 08:03 AM
Thanks all for your input, I really do appreciate it.
I found the replacement engine finally through Sears which it runs over $500.
Hopefully I can cross reference the replacement Tecumseh 756335D and find something a little cheaper. If not renting it is I guess or just pull out the plow.

Thanks, Luke

Old 03-20-15, 09:51 AM
So, stepping back a bit, if you're able to do whatever it takes to make a different engine fit, you should be able to rebuild one. I don't know what "blown engine" means, but I assume that pistons, rings, rods, and oversize components are available, so why not tear it down and see what it needs. I don't know how common it is, but I do know that I have a couple of small engine shops in the area that maintain a pretty good supply of old engines that have at least some decent parts, and will sell some of those parts dirt cheap. A couple of years ago, when I was working on one of the local pastor's lawn mowers, one of the guys even helped me load a complete mower, flat tires and all onto my trailer, told me to take it back to the shop, take what I needed, then bring and back and let him know what I used. And by the way, although the one in my old Bolens lived a full life and the one in my 30 year old Ariens tiller runs strong, Tecumseh would be one of my last choices for an engine.