Briggs and Stratton Intek 17.5hp flywheel key location

Old 03-22-15, 07:31 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Briggs and Stratton Intek 17.5hp flywheel key location

Have very low compression (can turn flywheel by hand w/plug in and nominal air pushed out of plug hole). Have adjusted the valves - repeatedly. Engine won't start. Pushrods are fine - valves appear to be opening and closing, albeit the intake (lower) opens more than the exhaust (have no idea if this is normal). Head gasket does not appear blown (no oil blowing out). Read elsewhere here that the flywheel key might be sheared - timing off. Would someone tell me how I would verify this? Any other suggestions of what to look at would be welcomed. Engine is at least 8 years old and has been burning oil. Replaced a broken intake pushrod - since then, no start up. Thanks.

Old 03-22-15, 07:45 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Did you determine why the intake pushrod broke?

When you turn the flywheel is it spinning on the shaft? If you're not getting compression a sheared flywheel key is probably the least of your worries. Verifying if the is sheared or not is easy. Just take it out and look at it. Even if it's not completely sheared in two you should replace it if it's not nice and square as partially sheared can throw the timing off a bit.

Old 03-22-15, 12:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
The flywheel key won't cause compression to be low. If one valve is opening and closing more than the other, you have a valvetrain problem. The broken pushrod confirms it. I'd suspect that either one of the valve guides has come loose and shifted position, holding the valve open, or a worn out lobe on the camshaft.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: