Snapper Grass Trimmer

Old 03-24-15, 05:19 AM
Snapper Grass Trimmer

What are your thoughts and recommendations on Snapper straight shaft grass trimmers?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-15, 09:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
They are made by somebody else. The most recent ones I've seen were poulan/weedeater trimmers with red plastic and the snapper name. Not impressed.

Old 03-24-15, 02:46 PM
Trimmer

Thanks, Cheese. I value your opinion. I will pass. I thought the price was low for a reason; now I know why.

Old 03-25-15, 10:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
No problem!

A quick general rule of thumb for distinguishing good trimmers from the cheapos... Look at where the pull rope is. If it is in front of the motor, it's a cheap throwaway trimmer. If it's all the way in the back of the motor, it's usually a decent trimmer.

The difference is on the cheap models, the crankshaft doesn't even go all the way through the block. It just goes from the flywheel to the inside, so the starter has to be on the flywheel end to turn it. On the good models, the crankshaft goes from the flywheel through the engine and out the back where it is supported by another bearing and comes out the back with a starter cup on it for the pull rope starter to engage.

Old 03-25-15, 01:18 PM
Even though Simplicity, and thus Snapper, were both bought by Briggs & Stratton in 2006, is Snapper still being allowed to have its name placed on equipment manufactured by others . . . . like Poulan or WeedEater ?

Old 03-25-15, 02:25 PM
Want one that's going to last then buy a Stihl.

Old 03-25-15, 06:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes, They are still being made by Poulan.

Stihl makes some decent trimmers, but echo makes some excellent ones too, along with several other companies. Most of the run of the mill box store brands are the ones to stay away from.