Riding Mower makes grinding noise when pushing in on the clutch / brake

Old 03-25-15, 04:04 PM
Riding Mower makes grinding noise when pushing in on the clutch / brake

I have a craftsman 14.5 HP ohv riding mower with a dana model number D4360-140 transaxle. It started making a grinding noise and small vibration, when pushing in on the clutch / brake or releasing it. Fully released there is no noise and fully depressed no noise. I looked a t sears parts center, no parts available on most items. I think this may be just the brake disk, brake puck spacers, or jaw brake. Am I right? or could it be something else?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-15, 04:36 PM
Is there a clutch idler pulley . . . . or a throw-out pulley which may have a bad bearing and makes noise (right now) only when the belt isn't tightened down on the pulley (like during shifts) ?

Old 03-25-15, 05:22 PM
No, there is neither. There is a flange bearing and clutch collar

Old 03-25-15, 06:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'd suspect a bearing gone bad in one of the idler pulleys.

Old 03-25-15, 09:11 PM
Just avoid using the clutch or brake, problem solved!

Old 03-26-15, 11:01 AM
No Idler pulleys involved.. Belts are not turning. This noise / vibration only there when pressure on the brake.

Can not use it without the brake silly boy....

Old 03-26-15, 05:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You can visually verify that the belt is not turning? Because you said when it it fully depressed the noise stops and when fully released it stops, but in between in when it makes the noise.

Old 04-01-15, 11:05 AM
Yes the belt is not turning. The brake seemed a lot loose, I adjusted that and the unit stops GOOD. But now with the transaxle in neutral the mower acts like it is still in gear, and I can not push it. With the mower running, in neutral, brake released, it does not move. If I put it in gear it moves. Also after adjusting the brake tighter, the measurement is 2 inches instead of 1 1/2, but it works fine except the not moving in neutral.......I just checked the brake and it is not releasing, and when I manually pull it back it is extremely loose and wobbly. Now I think the operating arm's hole on the transaxle is rounded? And I can't get the parts.

Last edited by frankraney; 04-01-15 at 11:20 AM.
Old 04-06-15, 06:47 PM
Did you lube the two pins under the brake arm and does it have the arm spring attached, also how does the brake disc look clean and shiny or is there rust on it?