Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Groundwater In Pressure Washer?

FL

03-28-15, 07:01 AM   #1  
Groundwater In Pressure Washer?

Hello Everyone:
I have a Generac 2700 psi pw. I live in N.E. florida and city water is very expensive here. I was considering using my ground water to power wash my roof. Would I be harming the pw in any way if I did use the ground water. I assume it would not harm it if after I flushed the pw out with city water? Any opinions? Many thanks: Don

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

03-28-15, 07:04 AM   #2  
What is "ground" water? From a lake? From a rain barrel? From a collection cistern? No matter which, it should be filtered before it goes through the pump. Sand granules (and you have the US market cornered on that) will slowly grind the pump to a halt.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

03-28-15, 07:54 AM   #3  
The 2 main things to consider are is the water clean [no trash, heavy sediment, etc] and is the supply [gallons per minute] sufficient.

Just read your other thread,
When I lived in fla I had well water and the well pump did fine PWing my mobile home. I don't remember the size of the pump but it was a jet pump with a 105' deep 2" well. I have no idea how the cost of city water compares to the electricity used and wear and tear on the pump.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

NY

03-28-15, 10:17 AM   #4  
I have been using one power washer or another for years with well water on Long Island, which has about the same amount of sand as Fl without any damage that I know of
Sid

GA

03-28-15, 06:12 PM   #5  
I use a well also, but we don't know what "ground" water is in its strictest sense. Waiting on the OP to clarify what it is.

FL

03-28-15, 07:04 PM   #6  
What I mean by ground water is, when we had the house built, we had a sprinkler system installed and it runs off of a pipe in ground(65ft) to supply our sprinklers.

GA

03-28-15, 07:27 PM   #7  
So it is a well and the water is pumped either directly to the emitters or to a storage/pressure tank for distribution.

FL

03-29-15, 05:18 AM   #8  
Out of the well, right to the heads.

GA

03-29-15, 05:46 AM   #9  
If your sprinkler emitters are handling the water without problem, the it should be fine with the pressure washer. THe only problem I see is a high unregulated pressure from the well pump. Is there a way to buffer it, like a pressure tank? How much pressure is being placed at the emitter heads? Where is your pressure switch and what is its cut in and cut out pressure? I can only envision the pump going through a cycle every few seconds with either the sprinkler system or the pressure washer.

Search this Thread