Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Craftsman lawn tractor

Non-US

04-02-15, 01:49 PM   #1  
Craftsman lawn tractor

Lawn tractor wont start. The battery is good There's power to the solenoid, fuse looks good. I ran a cable from the battery + to the starter it turned over. I then shorted the seat safety switch, held in the clutch pedal, turned the key on, and jumped to the starter and the engine started. It wont start with the key though.
Should I replace the ignition switch or?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-02-15, 03:49 PM   #2  
Is there power at the little white wire on the solenoid? Is the little black wire grounded? If so, the solenoid is bad.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Non-US

04-03-15, 10:13 AM   #3  
There is no power to the white wire and the black wire is grounded. I took the solenoid and the ignition switch to an electrical shop for testing. They cleaned and tested both saying that they both work. I cleaned the female plug to the ignition best I could, but still no luck. Turn the key - nothing. I am at a total loss now. Anyone have any ideas?

TX

04-03-15, 10:56 AM   #4  
Try removing ground cable from battery where it attaches to frame. Clean area where it attaches and wire terminal with wire brush and/or sandpaper and the reattaching it snugly. Have found this to be a problem multiple times.

RR

MI

04-03-15, 11:09 AM   #5  
In addition to the seat switch, you probably have switches on the clutch and blade engagement. Could be as simple as a sticky switch, sometimes I've found that a shot of WD40 will flush the crud out, or maybe the arm that actuates one of the switches is bent or otherwise out of alignment.

VT

04-03-15, 11:15 AM   #6  
Was the unit ever left outside in the rain ?

The Fuse looks good; but test it.

Any connector should be tested . . . . especially some of those nylon ones that can conceal water and corrode the contacts within.

Is the kill wire activated through the ignition switch? See if you can temporarily detach it just to see if the Unit is being continuously turned off, even while you're trying to start it.

Non-US

04-03-15, 12:03 PM   #7  
It hasn't been out in the rain for the 5 years that I have owned it, but moisture can get in anywhere I suppose. I'll try all of these ideas.
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions...

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-03-15, 03:20 PM   #8  
The lack of power to the white wire is the problem. This power comes from the fuse through the ignition switch, PTO switch, and clutch pedal to the solenoid. One of these should be the source of your problem. It could go through more depending on what mower you have (no model posted).

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread