173 CC Kohler Engine Lawnmower will not keep running

Old 04-03-15, 01:58 PM
173 CC Kohler Engine Lawnmower will not keep running

Hi,

I have a 173cc lawnmower with a kohler engine. The engine has a manual choke. Starts perfectly fine every time. The engine will run for about 3 seconds then die. I have done the folloiwing to it and am a bit stumped with this one.

1) replaced spark plug. Tried 3. Same problem
2) Tore apart carb and clean both the small jet and large jet in the carb.
3) cleaned to the float and needle for gas inlet.
4) New air filter.
5) Checked oil for good level.
6) Have all the carb linkages on properly.
7) disconnected the ground from the coil to the engine cutoff

As soon as I start it, the governor arm moves to begin to close the throttle. The engine just dies. Normally into this, it is a dirty carb. Ive done everytnnig on this carb. BLown it out with compressor as well. It must have good fuel. WHen I removed the carb there was tonnes in the bowl. Does not run long enough to drain bowl if there was not enough gas coming into it.

I thought maybe it might have been low oil if there was some sort of sensor to kill the engine.

Could it be a bad coil? I am struggling with that as the engine starts every time.

Very strange. I have worked on many of these. Cant seem to figure this out.

When it start, sounds perfect. Then dies.

Any idea what I could try next?

Thank you,

Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-15, 03:23 PM
my own update. I did not realize that this carb has a low idle jet. Took the carb all aaprt again. cleaned both the inner jets and the low idle jet. Also blew out fuel line.

The engine now runs but very lean. With full choke on it will rev as if it is starving for fuel. Tonnes of fuel in the carb bowl. Ive cleaned this carb three times over and over.

AM I missing something here? I also loosened the tank cap. Thought maybe the air hole is clogged allowing no air to allow the fuel to flow to the bowl.

Help!

Old 04-03-15, 03:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Is the choke still on when it dies? The governor is opening the throttle, not closing it because the rpm is slowing. It's trying to rev up but can't. It's probably a fuel issue.

Old 04-03-15, 03:39 PM
Cheese,

As soon as it start, i push the choke back in. It will die immediately, I pull out choke and it keeps going. Revs. How many times can you take a carb apart. these jets cant be any cleaner. The float needle slides in and out quite easy. No corrosion on it. ive blown out the fuel line. What lese can it be?

Old 04-03-15, 03:42 PM
Cheese,

What do you use to soak a carburetor in over night? I cant give it an electrolytic bath,. Dont have one. What else can I use?

Old 04-03-15, 04:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You still have a clogged carburetor. Are you cleaning it with carburetor cleaner? Varnish doesn't just blow out of a jet usually. Rarely do I ever need to soak a carb. Usually a set of torch tip cleaners and a can of automotive spray type carb cleaner is all I need. I think your main jet is clogged.

Old 04-03-15, 05:09 PM
Ive never had to soak one either. its one of these carbs where the jet is inside and not on the bottom of the bowl. I just took it apart again. Every single hole is clear. I even used a small piece of wire and cleaned them all out. i used brake cleaner and an air compressor.
Hre is my carb. Page 19. Am i missing a hole to clean out outside of the jets? Just took it off again and checked the float to be sure it was not on upside down. This is strange.

As soon as it stops, I pull the cord and it starts right up again full chke then dies out. Its like the bowl fills again then it starts, then all the gas is gone. wait, bowl fills up. strange.

http://www.kohlerengines.com/onlinec..._690_01_EN.pdf

Old 04-03-15, 11:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
But it keeps going if you keep the choke out, right? Brake cleaner isn't carburetor cleaner. It doesn't have the solvents required to dissolve gas varnish. Is the flow into the fuel bowl sufficient (pretty good stream)?

Old 04-04-15, 04:23 AM
No, it revved up and down prior to me taking apart the carb again. Now it is doing what it did in the first place. Choke on full, starts every time, dies. will not start nor run at all with no choke.
Ive cleaned lots of carbs. The jet on this one could not be any cleaner. I have cleaned many like this before and never had an issue of getting the mower running.

Could it be the coil? I doubt it as it starts every time. Real seems like a fuel issue. Ill see how well the fuel flows from the tank in an hour or so. See what happens there. I wonder as well if there is an issue with the bowl gasket. Find this difficult to beleive as well as it starts no problem. Once the engine starts, there should be all kinds of vacuuim to keep it running.