Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Proper nozzle selection for pressure washer, in particular a turbo nozzle

UT

04-09-15, 10:24 AM   #1  
Proper nozzle selection for pressure washer, in particular a turbo nozzle

I recently purchased a 3,100 psi and 2.8 gpm 6.5 HP pressure washer. I am trying to determine what would be the best orifice size to use and would appreciate any guidance. I have researched online and found some nozzle selection charts. However, my pressure washer ratings fall in between the 3.0 and 3.5 orifice sizes.

Using a 3.5 orifice, the flow would be over 3 gpm at 3100 psi.
Using a 3.0 orifice, the flow would be slightly over 2.6 gpm at 3100 psi.

My understanding is that my pressure washer would be able to maintain 3100 psi with the 3.0 orifice at full throttle with a little sacrifice of flow.

I do not want to damage my pressure washer with an undersized nozzle orifice and want the best cleaning ability, even at lower throttle levels also, if possible. Any guidance on what would be the best orifice size from those with experience?

Sponsored Links
Temporarily Suspended

NY

04-09-15, 11:53 AM   #2  
Different nozzles are for different jobs. I never decided what tip to use based on those type of calculations. The red tip provides the strongest flow. I think that the green is next, then yellow. The distance at which you hold the wand from the surface also determines the strength. If I use a red tip, on a deck, I'll increase the distance between the tip & the surface. None of the tips will damage the pressure washer. It's the surface that has to be considered.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

04-09-15, 01:48 PM   #3  
I only have 3 tips for my PWer; red, yellow and white with red being a zero tip [rarely needed, can cause damage if not careful] and the white tip being the widest, softest fan. As Pulpo said, the tip size has to do with the pressure/fan that you get, you pick the correct tip for the job at hand. What will you be cleaning that makes you think you will need full pressure?

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

VA

04-09-15, 02:26 PM   #4  
Way over thinking this.
A pressure washer needs to run at full throttle at all times when using it.
If it's not cleaning then hold it closer or use a different nozzle.

Group Moderator

NJ

04-09-15, 06:50 PM   #5  
The turbo nozzles are rated based on the PSI of your pressure washer. I have one very similar to yours and I use a Cat turbo nozzle similar to the one in the link.

A turbo nozzle is most effective on surfaces like concrete. It's basically a number 0 spinning nozzle.

Cat Pumps High Speed Rotating Nozzle, Model# 7632.35 | Pressure Washer Turbo Nozzles

~ Pete ~

UT

04-11-15, 10:18 PM   #6  
Thanks, all. I am planning to use it for refurbishing an old wood fence, paint prep, cleaning some heavybstains on my driveway, etc.

Group Moderator

NJ

04-11-15, 10:24 PM   #7  
Paint prep.... ok. Heavy stains on driveway... definitely. You need to be very careful with using it on wood. It can shred the wood in an instant.

I use it to clean siding but you must maintain a safe distance or it will blow right thru the siding.

~ Pete ~

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

04-12-15, 03:48 AM   #8  
As Pete said, when PWing wood you need to use the widest tip available and keep a respectable distance to prevent chewing up the wood. A zero tip concentrated on one spot can 'drill' a hole thru wood Whenever cleaning for paint/stain I like to spray on the cleaner with a pump up garden sprayer, let it set but not dry and then rinse with the PWer. Trying to clean with pressure alone often leads to using too much pressure which is prone to damage the wood. While a good aid for removing loose paint a PWer should never be used to 'strip' the paint off of siding!

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

04-12-15, 05:41 AM   #9  
I contracted to clean two brick walls and porch last week, when the owner wanted his driveway done as well. OK, 500' of driveway, the white nozzle would have taken a year to do it , so I bought one of these EZClean 15 in. Gas Surface Cleaner-AEZ31023 - The Home Depot
Move it slowly and it will clean a 15" swath at a time making the driveway job much easier. A final rinse with little pressure gets rid of the residual dirt that looked like swirl marks.

Name:  pw.jpg
Views: 1087
Size:  24.7 KB

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

04-12-15, 05:56 AM   #10  
Larry, do they make an extension that works with that wand/attachment? Just looking at you [or whoever] bent over operating it makes my back ache

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

04-12-15, 07:50 AM   #11  
It was my tallest helper, duh. You can add extensions, but I detected a bowing weakness in it, so we backed down.

UT

04-12-15, 10:58 PM   #12  
Good info. Thank you for the responses.

UT

04-13-15, 09:00 AM   #13  
Here are a couple of links that may help someone in the future:

Pressure Washer Nozzle Size Calculator - PressureParts.com
Pressure Washer Parts Catalog - BARENS INC. Nozzle Calculator
* Note any caution that the above link generates.

Search this Thread