Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Deck Belt Replacement

OH

04-13-15, 11:22 AM   #1  
Deck Belt Replacement

I bought a used Simplicity Sunstar Mower last year with a 60" deck on it ( Deck Model number 1691344) Mfg year 1995. I noticed while getting it ready for spring that the deck belt has a lot of cracks in it. Since this belt is driven by a gear box attached to a PTO shaft and then to the tractor, I cannot tell if this belt can be replaced without removing the deck completely. It almost looks like it might be (replacable without removal) but thought somebody out there may have done it once already and could tell me.

Last edited by WML13; 04-13-15 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Title Change

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-13-15, 05:26 PM   #2  
I looked at the diagram for this deck and it does look like it can be changed without removal of the deck. It's not a common enough mower for me to be able to recall off the top of my head.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

OH

04-14-15, 06:22 AM   #3  
I will give it a try, as it looked like it might be changeable to me too. (John Galt was the hero from "Atlas Shrugged") Why did you want to know lol ?

OH

04-16-15, 09:02 AM   #4  
Deck Belt Replacement

I called Simplicity, tech gave me a web site, and I downloaded an op manual that described the procedure. Manual wants the deck removed to replace the belt but I think this may be more for convenience rather than absolute necessity. It will have to wait for the deck belt that is on it to break before I determine the answer.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-16-15, 09:59 AM   #5  
Yeah, many manufacturers say to remove the deck on their mowers to replace the belt when it isn't necessary.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

VT

04-16-15, 10:46 AM   #6  
Posted By: WML13 ". . . It will have to wait for the deck belt that is on it to break before I determine the answer . . ."
I wouldn't wait for it to break. Get the replacement and monitor the current belt closely so that it can be replaced at your convenience . . . . not when you're in the middle of some big job.

OH

04-19-15, 06:47 PM   #7  
Deck Belt Replacement

I have a new belt on my tool box now. I have found parts for 20 year old machines have a habit of becoming "unavailable".

WA

04-19-15, 11:40 PM   #8  
Amazingly, the drive and mower deck belts for my fifty year old Sears rider (the one I am converting to electric) are still available from Sears. The unfortunate part is that except for basic hardware, the steering wheel, the rubber brake/clutch pedal pad and some kind of grass catcher all other parts are long obsolete and unavailable.

The lucky part is that I don't need any of the original parts.

Search this Thread