Briggs 3 hp governor spring

Old 04-19-15, 09:40 AM
Briggs 3 hp governor spring

The spring came off my 3 hp horizontal shaft motor can anyone tell me where it hooks up? It's a model 80232 type 4035-01 type 91020403. I have searched but can't find a picture anywhere. I have attached a few pictures but I'm afraid they aren't very clear.

Attached Images     
Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-15, 08:18 AM
I have the same spring (part number) on a 5 HP horizontal Briggs. I don't have the same throttle/governeor setup, but the shape of the spring gives clues on how it attaches. The long loop end allows the spring device to slide up and down as the other end moves (the small closed loop end). So on mine, the closed loop end attaches to the throttle control on the bottom of my gas tank and the long loop end attaches to the governor lever. The spring slides up and down two notches on the the governor lever and the spring only goes into tension when the governor is keeping the throttle at bay. I tried to attach pic, but not sure if it worked.[ATTACH=CONFIG]49669[/ATTACH]

Attached Images  
Old 04-21-15, 11:29 AM
Thanks for taking the time I appreciate it. I took another look at my spring but it doesn't seem to be the same set up.

Old 04-21-15, 04:43 PM
Ah, sorry I couldn't help. I had the same issue with my spring. I went up to my local small engine repair and while I was buying a gasket, I asked them about my spring and where it went. The guy was super nice and took me in the back and actually found a mower that had my same engine and pulled it out and gave me a flashlight and let me take pictures with my phone. I guess I was a bit lucky the guy was that nice and knowledgeable, but you may want to try it, especially if you do regular business with them. Even if you don't, go in and buy some oil or something and then ask them. Also, if you're not familiar with the store, I'd look around awhile and be cognizant of the people working there. You need to identify the guy (or gal) that seem to be able to answer all the questions and then go to that person to make your purchase and ask the question. good luck.

Old 04-21-15, 04:47 PM
One more thing, I took printed out pictures of my engine and throttle governor setup with me and plopped them up on the counter. It's really hard to explain verbally. He was real eager to help once I showed him the pictures and he knew I had invested some time in preparation for the question.