Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

pto clutch

OH

04-22-15, 07:10 PM   #1  
pto clutch

I have a 1979 wheel horse c-141 ,what I want to know is how tight to adjust the pto clutch, is their a proper way to adjust it? and if so where do I find the info. The problem is that the mower blades are not getting up to speed to mow.
Was told that the guide bar on top of deck is suppose to move, is this statement correct. replaced the special bushings and washers on bar, and it lets bar move some. THANKS for info in advance

Sponsored Links

MS

04-28-15, 09:32 PM   #2  
I'm not familiar with the machine you've asked about but, if the blades are not turning up to speed, you can tighten the clutch if there's an adjustment for that. If not, then the clutch will need to be replaced. Sorry I'm not more help on this.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-29-15, 01:04 AM   #3  
Is the belt tight? Usually this is the cause of the blades not getting up to speed. If the clutch is slipping, you will smell the clutch material getting hot and it will start smoking. It smells like hot brakes on a car.

Try engaging the clutch with the engine off and then reach under and turn the blades. Does it turn the engine when you do? (Make sure the key is off and pull the spark plug wire so it can't start!!!) If it turns the engine well, the clutch probably isn't the problem.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread