Toro mower won't start after replacing transmission

Old 04-25-15, 08:19 AM
U
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Toro mower won't start after replacing transmission

My toro 20017 mower won't start. I replaced the transmission assembly so it was on its side for quite a while and when I got everything put back together and set it upright it won't start. I replaced the spark plug and it's getting good spark. I replaced the air filter. I also took the carburetor off and cleaned it but still nothing.

Old 04-25-15, 10:15 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
You say it's not starting and it has spark. What is it doing? Is it making any sounds? Does it sputter and fire?

Did you check the oil? Did it smell like gas? Was the oil level high, low or right where it should be?

When on it's side or a while oil and gas can leak to places they normally aren't. Gas can flood through the carburetor into the cylinder and seep past the rings and contaminate the oil. The opposite can also happen with oil. It can seep past the ring and get above the piston. At worst the piston would be locked with oil and you couldn't pull the cord or more mildly the spark plug got soaked with oil.

After checking to make sure the oil is good I'd remove the spark plug and make sure it's clean. Then while the plug is out give it several good pulls to blow anything (gas or oil) out of the cylinder before re-installing the plug.

Old 04-25-15, 12:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Also check air filter is not filled with oil or gas.

Old 04-25-15, 04:08 PM
U
It's making sounds but doesn't seem close to firing. I don't smell any gas in the oil but I pulled the spark plug and pushed a paper towel in the cylinder. There is some oil in there. I did pull the cord several times with the plug out, then put it back in and nothing changed. What about spraying carb cleaner in the cylinder to clean out the oil?

Old 04-25-15, 04:38 PM
U
I put a little bit of gas in the cylinder then replaced the spark plug and tried to start it. Still nothing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: