Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Honda GCV160 Carb Leaking Gas

NJ

04-26-15, 04:40 AM   #1  
Honda GCV160 Carb Leaking Gas

I have a Craftsman mower with a GCV160 Honda engine that is driving me nuts. Mower model 917-378501 Honda GCV160-AS3A. The carb is leaking gas. I have disassembled and cleaned the carb, washed out the gas tank, put a new fuel hose from shutoff valve to carb, all the gaskets are in correctly. Everything tests fine for a couple days. I return it to the customer it does ok for one cutting and then the carb starts leaking again. I realize the customer could be putting in debris from a bad can etc. It is obviously a needle seat problem of some kind. I need some suggestions on how to remedy this problem -- maybe a filter of some kind -- anything. Are these Honda carbs prone to leaking ??? I don't tend to see the problem with Honda engines on Honda mowers.

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NC

04-26-15, 05:15 AM   #2  
Are you finding any sediment in the fuel tank or carb bowl when the customer brings the mower back? You mentioned disassembling and cleaning. Did you replace the needle? WOW! I just checked Sears Parts and the needle is $22 and the whole carburetor is $17.

I put a filter in the fuel line immediately in front of the carb of all my push mowers. They're so cheap it's almost a no brainer if there is room.

NJ

04-26-15, 05:41 AM   #3  
Yes, that is the problem --- there is not a lot of room on this engine. What kind of a filter ??

Group Moderator

NC

04-26-15, 10:49 AM   #4  
I just use cheap, plastic inline filters. I like the slightly larger ones that allow me to see inside to the pleated, cone shaped filter but shorter ones are available. I just like being able to see inside for some idea of how dirty it may be getting. Honestly though I've never replaced one. They pick up a speck now and then but I figure it's cheap insurance.

I got started with the habit of installing a filter long ago when I inherited a snow blower from my deceased grandfather. A really nice machine but by the time it got to me the fuel had formed a hard varnish inside the tank and fuel lines. After having to take the carb apart the third time I knew bits had to be breaking free and re-clogging the carb so instead of taking the time to remove and clean the tank and replace the fuel line I stuck in a filter right before the carb. It worked well until I got bored one weekend and pulled the tank and got rid of the varnish.

Search this Thread