Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

How to repair clogged chemical injector in power washer?

CT

04-26-15, 01:40 PM   #1  
How to repair clogged chemical injector in power washer?

I have a newish Homelite 2700 PSI. I noticed last fall that it was not drawing bleach/chemical. I tried it again this morning, to no avail. Here is what I did and saw so far:

1- Removed and cleaned the ball valve - it was completely caked in soap. I took it completely apart, removing ball, O-ring and spring. No change and no effect. This repair is the only one that I could find on YouTube.
2- I removed the pump from the engine.
3- I looked into the injector hole (where the ball valve screws into). It was also caked with soap. I ground out the gunk for a while until I could begin to see the hole (2 mm in diameter). I kept chipping away until I encountered white plastic.
4- At this stage, when I try to blow through the injector port, no air gets through.
5- I tried to pulled out the plastic insert by removing the hose attachment fitting. I can see the plastic piece but it would not budge and I am not sure how to pull it out. It looks find of fragile.

I conclude that the channel between the injector hole and the main water channel is blocked. However, I can't figure out how to remove the blockage. Should I use solvents? What solvent? I tried water and acetic acid but it did not look like it was doing much. I don't want to buy a new pump if possible

Thanks in advance!

Name:  IMG_20150426_163345.jpg
Views: 1621
Size:  30.0 KB
Injector port
Name:  IMG_20150426_163335.jpg
Views: 1363
Size:  28.8 KB
View of the inside of the high pressure line. The plastic is visible in white.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-27-15, 12:30 AM   #2  
I've never had much luck repairing those pumps... the plastic gets stuck in the housing and there's usually no removing it without destroying it.

I suggest using a pump up garden sprayer to apply the chemcal and the pressure washer to rinse.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

CT

04-27-15, 04:37 AM   #3  
Cheese,

Thanks for answer.

What is holding the plastic in place? is it threaded? I guess I don't understand how the valve/plastic insert interact?

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

04-27-15, 04:53 AM   #4  
While my pressure washer and many of the ones I've used have the siphon feature, I never use it and know nothing about repairing it. I agree with Cheese's suggestion of using a pump up garden sprayer to apply the cleaner! It gives you better control and there is no danger of the chemicals having any adverse affect on the pump.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

CT

04-27-15, 05:08 AM   #5  
Marksr,

I thought about that. The problem with the garden hose is the throw. I am using the power washer to go up 20 feet or so.

I used undiluted soap and then bleach without proper flushing over 2 seasons. (did not know one had to flush). That's what created the blockage.

Surely there's a solvent that can clean it up? Hot water? DMSO?

Water, WD40 and acetic acid do not work.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

04-27-15, 05:16 AM   #6  
We aren't talking about using a garden hose sprayer. A pump up garden sprayer has a 1-3 gallon tank that you put the cleaner in and then pump it up using the wand to disperse it. It's the same type of sprayer often used to apply insecticide or herbicide. I use a ladder to access the higher areas.

Bleach is very corrosive! I would think if it was just plugged with soap it wouldn't take too much to dissolve it.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

08-06-16, 03:50 AM   #7  
Thank you Fredct

Fredct I just want to thank you for your amazing post about the Honda GCV valve stuck. It was an old post so I couldn't reply on that thread. I was just getting ready to trash my mower until I read your post and I had the same problem. A quick tap to the top of the valve stem and she started up. Thank you again. Great information.

Last edited by Spadaroj; 08-06-16 at 03:51 AM. Reason: More info

Search this Thread