Need help with diagnosis

Old 04-26-15, 07:15 PM
Need help with diagnosis

My pressure washer starts and runs normally - for about a minute. It then steps and I can't even pull the cord. At first I thought the pump or motor was seized. However I tried it awhile later and it started easily, pumped for 30 seconds - and stopped again. Same issue when tried to re-start, seemed seized up. This is the first use of season so I suspect it's related to pump storage issues or dirt but I am confused that the "seizing" goes away. Would appreciate any ideas of what is going on. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-15, 07:21 PM
Be sure the pressure is relieved before pulling the start cord. I had similar problems before I discovered I was trying to overcome built up pressure in pump. As far as the stalling goes, are you using fresh gas? Is the carb bowl float stuck (caused by old fuel getting gummy)?

Old 04-27-15, 11:08 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. Gas is fresh, will have to investigate carb. Did relieve pressure before attempting to re-start. It stops so abruptly that I'm leaning toward a pump issue as opposed to the motor.

Old 04-27-15, 11:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Have you checked the oil level in the pump? Our small engine guys we'll probably want to know what pressure washer you have.

btw - welcome to the forums!

Old 04-27-15, 01:03 PM
What happens if you squeeze the wand as your starting and keep it squeezed? Does it keep running?
I'm thinking the unloader valve is the trouble.

Old 04-28-15, 07:14 PM
I am squeezing and washing when the thing stops very abruptly. If the unloader valve was the problem wouldn't it stop even before I got a chance to start spraying?

Old 04-28-15, 07:18 PM
Oil level is good. The washer is a Honda with a Briggs & Stratton label on it with model 020453. I think that might be for the pump.

Old 04-28-15, 09:06 PM
If everything is working OK while it's running, spraying fine, I'm agreeing with the carburetor float valve is sticking and needs cleaning.

Old 04-29-15, 01:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The float valve won't cause it to come to an abrupt solid stop.