kohler power washer won't run off choke

Old 05-01-15, 01:17 PM
kohler power washer won't run off choke

Shellx again. Have a Kohler Courage XT 7 on a Husky power washer. It didn't run off choke. Went through carb thoroughly with carb cleaner and air pressure. Now if I slowly open the choke it will run till I use the wand then I dies. If I hold the governor rod (mechanical) and use the wand it tries to run, release the wand then try the wand again without holding throttle it dies. Only jet I didn't clean was behind the welsh plug. What am I missing? Also pulled muffler- no obstructions.
The unit is only a couple years old.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-15, 02:25 PM
Group Moderator
If you know which setscrew is the mixture adjustment you could try turning it out a quarter turn to enrich the mixture.

Also mark or note where the setscrews are originally so you can return them back there if needed.

Old 05-01-15, 02:48 PM
Thanks for responding! I have adjusted it. No change at all, all the in to all the way out.

Old 05-01-15, 04:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I don't recall these carbs having mixture adjustments, idle and high speed (which is not on the carb.) but that is only for RPM and does not change the mixture.
I still sounds like either a fuel restriction or a vacuum leak. If yours has a fuel filter check or change it.
Check for any chance of vacuum leak using WD-40 spray it around the intake and carb mounting gaskets when running and see if any change in RPM.

Section 5 of this manual has instructions for disassembling the carb
If you haven't yet, remove the main jet and emulsion tube and make sure there are no restrictions. You can use a wire from a bread tie, or torch tip cleaners to probe or poke through any holes you see.

Old 05-01-15, 04:27 PM
Thanks a bunch! I couldn't find any service info any where. Vacuum leak is something I hadn't (but should have) considered. That's great advice. Thank you!

Old 05-06-15, 07:52 AM
I pulled the carb back off pulled the jets out, ran a torch cleaner through every hole(used a wire way under hole size), used a piece of 600 sand paper and gently buffed the needle(NOT the tip), used a q tip to clean out needle seat area then cleaned everything again carb cleaner and air preasure. Runs like a camp! Thanks for all your help!