Toro GTS 6.5 HP lawn mower smoking white fumes

Old 05-03-15, 04:00 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Toro GTS 6.5 HP lawn mower smoking white fumes

I had this Toro GTS 6.5 HP 22 inch which I bought in 2003 was working fine. I changed the oil (I poured a sealed very old can of 10-30SE Synthetic Car oil which I had in my garage, the can was old - really old probably more than 12 years). Lawn mower ran fine in first 1/2 hr and by the time I was about to finish my yard it started smoking. I stopped immediately and changed the oil this time a brand quart of new 4 cycle lawn mower oil. But, the lawn mower still smokes. When I unloaded the old oil from the mower I noticed that the oil was like water. So, did I screwed up the engine? Is it worth calling a repair guy to fix blown engine and can it be done within 50-60 bucks or just go buy a new one. Any advice is strongly appreciated.

Ok, I got it working now. I had poured 1 Qt of Oil. It takes a max of 20 Oz. I unloaded some of the oil out. It works like a charm ...!

Last edited by Rick2015; 05-03-15 at 05:38 PM.
Old 05-03-15, 05:37 PM
M
Received 35 Upvotes on 34 Posts
Did you put the entire quart of the old/new oil in it when you put it in? With new oil in it check the oil and make sure it's at the right level and not over filled. I wouldn't assume anything is blown up just yet if there aren't any unusual noises coming from it - like knocking sounds.

I saw you have an edit to your post and it was overfilled. Good deal - cheaper than a new motor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: