Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Toro GTS 6.5 HP lawn mower smoking white fumes

OH

05-03-15, 04:00 PM   #1  
Toro GTS 6.5 HP lawn mower smoking white fumes

I had this Toro GTS 6.5 HP 22 inch which I bought in 2003 was working fine. I changed the oil (I poured a sealed very old can of 10-30SE Synthetic Car oil which I had in my garage, the can was old - really old probably more than 12 years). Lawn mower ran fine in first 1/2 hr and by the time I was about to finish my yard it started smoking. I stopped immediately and changed the oil this time a brand quart of new 4 cycle lawn mower oil. But, the lawn mower still smokes. When I unloaded the old oil from the mower I noticed that the oil was like water. So, did I screwed up the engine? Is it worth calling a repair guy to fix blown engine and can it be done within 50-60 bucks or just go buy a new one. Any advice is strongly appreciated.

Ok, I got it working now. I had poured 1 Qt of Oil. It takes a max of 20 Oz. I unloaded some of the oil out. It works like a charm ...!

Last edited by Rick2015; 05-03-15 at 05:38 PM.

Sponsored Links

IA

05-03-15, 05:37 PM   #2  
Did you put the entire quart of the old/new oil in it when you put it in? With new oil in it check the oil and make sure it's at the right level and not over filled. I wouldn't assume anything is blown up just yet if there aren't any unusual noises coming from it - like knocking sounds.

I saw you have an edit to your post and it was overfilled. Good deal - cheaper than a new motor.

Search this Thread