Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

John Dere STX 30 has starting problems

IN

05-03-15, 06:35 PM   #1  
John Dere STX 30 has starting problems

Hi All,

Working on my friends mower. It is a John Deere STX30. Serial number is MOOSTXA017734. Engine number is CV12.5 9. Spec 1216. It is a Kohler Command 9 hp engine. He said the starter went out last fall. Got it to my house and checked it out. Using a test light checked to see that power was getting to the starter and it was. All I would get was a clicking sound at the starter. Battery was charged, but even tried a new one to make sure it wasn't a battery problem. Pulled the starter and tried a good solenoid that I had. No difference. Pulled the starter off and hooked it directly to a battery and got nothing. So I ordered a new starter. Put it on and it fired right up. Started it several times. 6 out of ten it started perfect. The other times it did the same thing as it was doing before the new starter. Mowed with it, shut it off and it started 3 times. Then nothing but clicking at the starter. Tried it again and started several more times. What the heck am I missing? Could it be a ground problem?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Temporarily Suspended

NY

05-03-15, 07:18 PM   #2  
Clicking usually means a bad connection. For example, the eye hole on the cable end at the stater could be rusted or corroded. Sand it & reconnect it. The same thing goes for the battery cable ends & all connections. Another thing is that batteries are marked as maintenance free when they aren't. If they have removable caps, make sure that all the cells are filled with water.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-03-15, 10:15 PM   #3  
Usually when you turn the key and get one solid click but the starter doesn't work, then you try again and it does, it's the solenoid. If your starter was bad, that points even more to the solenoid, since the solenoid commonly overheats when trying to energize a shorted starter. Use a test light to check. If the solenoid is working, the starter cable will have power and the small wire plugged on to the bottom of the solenoid will get power while trying to start. If it has 2 small wires, one will have power when trying to start, one will not.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

IN

05-04-15, 02:10 PM   #4  
I have the new starter on it. It does start great most of the time. I do have power to the starter and have used the test light at the single wire when I turn the key to start it that it does get power. Battery is new and fully charged. Everything seems normal. One time it will start fine, the next it just clicks. 5 minutes later it starts as normal. Owner did say that is what it was doing last year. I will check all connections for now.

Temporarily Suspended

NY

05-04-15, 02:32 PM   #5  
Look for a loose ground wire on the chassis.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-04-15, 04:24 PM   #6  
I agree, check your ground if you have power at the starter when it clicks.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

NJ

05-05-15, 04:09 AM   #7  
By all means check your grounds !! If that doesn't help the problem, JD used to sell a "Relay starter assist kit" to fix this problem on many of their riders especially the STX38 & 30. The kit consisted of a relay and wiring. Google "John Deere relay starter assist kit" and much info should come up. The fix can be made with a plain vanilla relay and some wire.

Search this Thread