Stihl chain saw stalls

Old 05-05-15, 05:36 AM
Stihl chain saw stalls

I have a stilh 290 chain saw that stalls or cuts out at speed.Sometimes "feathering" the throttle will save it but not always.It will start again and it idles fine but as soon as you give it any thottle it stalls out.I've cleaned the spark plug and tried fresh fuel ,no help.I check the fuel tank vent it seems fine(not plugged up).The funny thing is it will idle all day if you let it but as soon as you give it any throttle it dies out soon after,not right away but soon.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-15, 06:05 AM
Group Moderator
It sounds like a jet is clogged, possibly on the high speed circuit. It is possible, if anyone has been messing with the carburetor, that the high speed jet is set too rich so it stumbles at higher rpm. Basically, I'd start by looking at the carburetor as the source of the problem.

Old 05-05-15, 06:31 AM
A few other things to check.
The muffler for carbon build up.
There's a fuel filter inside the gas tank.
All my Stilh's take a special screwdriver to adjust the carb. I bought mine on Amazon, cost about $9.00.

Old 05-05-15, 08:02 AM
I did check the muffler for blockages and all was fine including the spark arrestor.I have not touched the carb,I think I will replace the fuel filter though.

Search this Thread