No oil!!

Old 05-06-15, 10:26 AM
No oil!!

Earthquake rear tine Tiller was bought last fall (brand new).
212cc Viper OHV engine (single)

They started it last week, ran it a very short time to check operation.
Went to return it to the shed and couldn't pull the rope.

I find that the tiller has no oil in it, other than the tiny bit it was shipped with.
They didn't put any in it when they got home. Or check it for that matter.

The engine will move back and forth to a certain point in either direction by hand. (No compression that I can tell) But hits solid against something.

It doesn't feel like anything is broken, it moves smoothly until it hits solid.

I am wondering if a valve could be stuck open?

They took it back, and of course they said, no oil - no warranty.

This is my mother, I told her to go get it and take it to my house, I would look at it.

I first plan to take a look under the valve cover and see what I find. Then remove the head I guess, depending on what I see?

Not sure where I can find parts for these?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-15, 11:16 AM
Group Moderator
Take the spark plug out and you can see the piston move up and down as the engine is turned. If you can't see down the hole stick a pencil or something else in to feel the piston. Does it move up and down as you turn the engine over? Since your saying the engine turns some then hits something hard I'm guessing maybe the connecting rod is broken and you won't see the piston move when you pull the starter cord.

One of the big problems with no name products is they are imported and support can be difficult or non-existent. Start searching the Internet for that engine and see if you can find anyone offering parts. It's likely a Chinese copy of a brand name engine so you might get lucky and be able to substitute brand name parts. The trick is that you will have to determine what parts will work and which will not.

Old 05-06-15, 11:20 AM
Common problem. I don't have an answer for you. Do a Google search. Jack's Small engine may very well have parts. There are a lot of links for that brand.

When we sell a lawnmower at the store we must put a big tag on the mower indicating that we and the manager has advised the customer that oil (supplied) must be added prior to starting mower. This procedure is witnessed and signed. Not surprised the store refused warranty.

Let us know what you find when you get it apart.

Old 05-07-15, 02:46 AM
Thanks guys.
I will keep you updated. They plan to bring the tiller to my house later today. I hope to get a look at it this weekend sometime.

I am holding out hope that because it didn't lock up running that the rod is not broken.

Old 05-07-15, 04:11 AM
Super Moderator
I have an earthquake tiller also..

You can get whatever parts you need here, but I never tried to order anything.

Rear Tine Rototiller CRT w/ 212cc Viper Engine

Old 05-11-15, 03:13 AM
Update

The tiller must have died while running. Looks like connecting rod was broken.

Long story short, Harbor Freight had there 212CC (6.5hp)Predator Engine on sale for $119, then I used a 20% coupon. Picked it up Friday, took about an hour to swop out.

Every bolt hole matched up, they look to be the exact same motor.

The new HF engine fired up in two pulls, really runs smooth! I am sure the Viper engine would have, if the oil had been put in!

Anyway, it made it easy to figure out what to get my mom for Mother's Day.

Thanks for the help.

Old 05-11-15, 04:46 AM
Group Moderator
Good call. At that price it's hardly worth the labor to disassemble the old engine.