GIO 950i Generator

Old 05-06-15, 05:49 PM
GIO 950i Generator

I have a GIO 950i generator. It has a 63cc 2-cycle engine.
Originally it would not start. I discovered that even though I ran the bowl dry after last use, I didn't realize the drain screw was plugged so a little fuel stayed in the bowl and plugged the jet in the bowl. I cleaned that out and now:
It starts and runs perfectly with the choke on. The engine throttles up and down when I switch on and off a 500 watt light bulb.
However, A second after I open the choke it stalls with the load on or off.
As labeled in the photo:
The adjustment that I think is the mixture screw doesn't seem to have any effect. I took it out and sprayed cleaner through it, the cleaner shoots out of another hole inside the carb throat.
The one I marked orifice, is plugged at the top but I think it is supposed to be that way, not really sure. I tried to spray cleaner through it and to push a small wire through but it wouldn't go. When I take it out, it is a short sealed tube about 3/8" long, it has two small holes opposite each other near the bottom and 2 more part way up the tube. Those holes are open. I can see daylight when I look in through the top of the orifice. It looks like it may be sealed with epoxy. Do you think I'm right that it is plugged on purpose?
What do you think is causing it to stall once the choke is opened?

This is what the carb looks like:
Name:  Gio carb.jpg
Views: 716
Size:  15.1 KB

This is what the generator looks like:
GIO 950w Mini Generator | GIO

Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-15, 07:48 PM
Carb's dirty and needs to be rebuilt.

Old 05-06-15, 11:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Something is still clogged in the carb. I don't know what, but probably the main jet running up the center.

Old 05-07-15, 02:29 AM
Thanks for the replies. I'll take it apart again and give it a good cleaning.

Old 05-09-15, 07:17 AM
Smile

Thanks for the advice.
I thought the main jet was clear. Turns out it was partially plugged. I got it cleared and the generator would run with the choke open. However it was surging like crazy. I didn't realize that there was a hole in the tip of the part I labeled as orifice in the pic. I got it opened unplugged and now the generator functions perfectly.
This time when I drained the gas from the bowl to store the generator, I sprayed carb cleaner through the air bleeds and cleaned out the bowl area with the cleaner too.
Thanks again.

Old 05-09-15, 11:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Glad you got it fixed!