Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

problem starting Stihl ms290 chainsaw

05-07-15, 12:41 AM   #1  
problem starting Stihl ms290 chainsaw

Hello, After I use my chainsaw, the next day it will not start up. I was advised that to cure this problem I should empty the fuel tank when I am finished for the day and then start it up to run out the fuel. I have done this and avoided the problem.

Yesterday I did not empty the remaining fuel, knowing that I would be using it the next day. (Today) I know that a normal chainsaw does not need this type of care.

Anyway , it did not start this morning. Smell of gasoline and thus it looks like it floods easily.

So, what problem is it that the chainsaw has? I would like to fix it,

thank you

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

05-07-15, 02:47 AM   #2  
You don't need to empty all the fuel out of the tank after each use. Depending on the age of the saw, you may be in need of fuel lines. They are the weakest link in fuel delivery. When pressing the bulb, does fuel fill the bulb and does fuel return back to the tank via the second tube?

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

05-07-15, 03:20 AM   #3  
I've never purposely emptied the tank on any of my chainsaws when I get done with them although if I think the can of gas won't get used up in a timely manner I'll add Stabil to the mix. I've never experienced any issues from leaving fuel in the saw.

As Larry said, how old is the saw? when did this problem first start?

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

VA

05-07-15, 04:32 AM   #4  
If it keeps flooding it's likly the float is sticking.
Those carb's are so tiny it does not take much to plug them up.
I find it faster and easier to just replace the whole carb.
I could see emptying out the tank and running it dry at the end of the season, but not every time.
Finding a place that sells nonethenal and only mixing a gal. at a time will give you far longer life for all the fuel system, or just buy those premixed cans.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

05-07-15, 05:02 AM   #5  
I haven't seen the pre mixed cans but definitely use non ethanol gas!!

Joe, you mean there is a season that you don't use a chainsaw ? I use my saws year round although I do use them more in the fall/winter. If I don't know that I'll use up a can of gas shortly I add the Stabil - just to be safe

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Search this Thread