Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Briggs engine won't start

IN

05-07-15, 06:59 PM   #1  
Briggs engine won't start

I have a 14.5 hp briggs OHV engine that don't crank over. I have set the valves at .004 twice, installed a new batt, and replaced starter with one that was working on another engine. Stumped.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

KS

05-07-15, 07:30 PM   #2  
What DOES it do? Click? nothing at all? Crank as in does not turn or not fire?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-08-15, 12:17 AM   #3  
If it won't get past the compression stroke, check the valve operation. Watch to see if the compression release mechanism bumps the intake valve just before the engine gets to TDC. If not, the compression release may be broken on the camshaft.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

IN

05-08-15, 05:53 AM   #4  
BFH it groans but won t crank over. Cheese that is what I feared as it happened over night so to speak. If I hook up the batt charger I can get it started and it runs fine. Thanks for the replies guys.

VT

05-08-15, 05:56 AM   #5  
Sounds like that battery is on its last legs and won't hold a charge.

How old is it (the battery) ?

PS: I see that the battery was new; but maybe it's a dud ?

IN

05-08-15, 11:03 AM   #6  
Anything is possible but it did the same thing with the original batt. If it was batt when I put my charger on (this charger will start a car with a dead batt) it should spin but it just barely turns over. I have a back up engine if I can get the wife to change it.

IN

05-14-15, 03:26 PM   #7  
You guessed it Cheese took the engine apart and the pin was broken that holds the decompression lever to the cam gear.

Group Moderator

NC

05-14-15, 03:34 PM   #8  
It's extremely difficult to diagnose something without ever seeing the engine and relying on a stranger's brief description but after seeing Cheese help people over the years I've learned to listen when he speaks/types.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-15-15, 12:04 AM   #9  
Heh... well, I've worked on a whole lot of em and still do every day, so I see the things that tend to happen with these things. Thanks for the vote of confidence though!

It's easy to replace the camshaft... I think it runs $90 or so. Might find one cheap on ebay. Sometimes you get one of these engines that has wiped one of the lobes off on the camshaft. I have taken the compression release mechanism off of these to repair broken ones with .

God bless!

IN

05-15-15, 08:19 PM   #10  
Ya the fact you have to buy the cam and the $86 price tag sent me into sticker shock. I tried the cam out of my other engine but when the sump was tightened it locked the engine so I put the cam back and installed the older engine and mowed about 2 acres. I knew there was a reason I stayed away from these things in my shop. Thanks for the replies guys.

WA

05-19-15, 06:14 PM   #11  
I have the same problem, cranks sluggish and stops on compression stroke. i adjusted the valves .004 also tried .005, .003 no good results. I pulled the plug cranks fine good strong spark. mine is a 21hp briggs. I trolling here for some answers myself. i'm new to this forum so hope we can find some answers.

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

05-19-15, 06:27 PM   #12  
originally posted by cheese:

If it won't get past the compression stroke, check the valve operation. Watch to see if the compression release mechanism bumps the intake valve just before the engine gets to TDC. If not, the compression release may be broken on the camshaft.
Would be a good place to start

WA

05-21-15, 11:11 AM   #13  
hello thank you for your reply. I have a 21hp Briggs and straton platmium OHV modle # 331877 type# 1371-B1 Code# 100118ZD. I've watched the valve operation, both valves seem to cycle same distance. Intake .003-.005, Exhaust .005-.007, I'm not sure what the compression release mechanism is? all I see when I open the valve cover is the, the rockers, rocker pins, push rods, valve springs. as I said Ive adjusted them numerous times with no results. I watched a U-tube video of a mower with the same symptoms he adjusted the valves and it fired right up. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cWoEk5Guos). I've even cleaned the flywheel and set the coil gap to no avail, I'm not sure that had any bearing on my problem or not but did it any way. I Have good spark, the starter is good, and my regulator seems to work fine. When I pull the plug it cycles just fine, like it would normally if it had a plug in it. so I figure my starting electrical system is OK. I even put a different Battery in it just to check; same problem. I seem to have had this problem for a week or so, I thought it was a week battery because when I put a engine starting battery charger on it it would start after numerous attempts' and it would run. It did not sound funny while running so did not think anything was amiss. In advance I thank you for your time, and hope I gave enough information to help diagnose this problem. I would take it to a repair shop but cannot afford the expense. Todd.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-21-15, 04:56 PM   #14  
The advice given and copied again is still what you need to do.

The compression release bumps the valve a little bit. If it doesn't, it's broken. If it's broken, that's your problem. It's on the camshaft. Watch the valve operation as I described and see if the valve bumps during the time when it's closed.

God bless!

Non-US

06-07-15, 12:41 PM   #15  
need help

i cant figure out how to start a new questian on this site and in need of help with my briggs 15.5, how do i start a new questian?

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

06-07-15, 12:53 PM   #16  
Welcome to the forums! Go to "outdoor gasoline engines...", look at the yellow bar at the top left and start a new thread.

Search this Thread