Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Older JD 14SE small mower

PA

05-09-15, 10:47 AM   #1  
Older JD 14SE small mower

I am dealing with an engine - Kawasaki FC150V - which has a lot of use on it. The engine starts easily but cycles on spark. It is hard to describe but almost like it the engine runs for two to three seconds with power, then runs for a similar period without firing. This pattern repeats but occasionally the engine almost sounds like it is running all of the time. However, even when it sounds like it is running all the time, it does not sound like it is up to full RPMs. Last fall when I put it away I allowed the engine to run itself out of fuel. I always put stabilizer in my fuel, and shut off the fuel switch before it went away. The mower operated twice this spring before it started acting up on its third time out cutting. Even when the engine is hot it starts up easily enough. It just is not running on every cycle of the engine.

I have done a compression test and it has 50 PSI. I pulled the plug and it looks light gray and is not wet with fuel.

I am going to throw a plug at it because that is cheap. What I want to know is this particular engine sensitive to brands of plugs? I pulled an NGK out of it.

Any other thoughts are welcome.

Steve

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NC

05-09-15, 11:35 AM   #2  
Have you adjusted/checked the valves? Cold it should be .005" for both the intake and exhaust.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-09-15, 11:43 AM   #3  
Your carburetor needs cleaning. Old gas that was left in the carburetor has dried up and partially clogged a jet(s).

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

PA

06-17-15, 05:41 PM   #4  
Just wanted to let you know that debris in the carb bowl appears to have been the cause. The engine now runs fine. But I still have one small mystery. The carburetor is dripping fuel. I find fuel dripping off of the bottom. I have replaced the small gasket that goes on the nut that holds the bowl in place twice. Still drips fuel. Any other ideas?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-17-15, 06:22 PM   #5  
The fuel inlet needle is leaking. Remove it, clean it, and use a qtip soaked with carb cleaner and push it up into the seat area to clean the seat.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread