White Outdoor GT-2150 running poorly

Old 05-15-15, 07:16 AM
White Outdoor GT-2150 running poorly

I have a White Outdoor GT-2150 mower, which has recently started to run poorly. It starts fine, drives fine, cuts fine etc. but randomly starts to lose power and sputter/backfire and has actually cut out entirely a couple times. The first time I put it down to low gas, but it has since done it a couple more times with the gas at least half full. Initially it appeared to only do it when the engine was hot, but this latest time I barely even had it running before it started to do it. However, the engine did appear to be really hot even after just a few passes in the yard. I did also notice there was a little white smoke coming out from behind the air filter (when it started sputtering this morning, I stopped it and checked oil/airfilter, which is when I noticed the smoke).

I believe it had some recent engine work (a family member used to use it, did some work on the valves I believe) It's a Briggs & Stratton V-Twin engine, oil level is good and the oil is clean, the air filter is clean, has a new battery, the only thing I have not yet checked is the spark plug.

Any idea's what to check? hoping its an easy fix as it has been a solid mower.

Thanks.

Last edited by naiku; 05-15-15 at 07:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-15, 10:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Trash in the carburetor bowl will cause random issues like you described. Might be time to clean the carburetor.

Old 05-15-15, 11:20 AM
Might well be it, I don't know if it has ever been cleaned. Do you happen to know if there is a service manual out there somewhere? Even if just for the engine itself, I believe it actually has 2 carbs on it.

Old 05-15-15, 12:53 PM
Group Moderator
I very seriously doubt that that engine has two carburetors unless someone has modified it. Most/all Briggs twin cylinder engines have one carburetor and the one shown for that tractor is pretty basic. Popping off the bowl and cleaning it should be pretty easy.

Old 05-15-15, 01:07 PM
Pilot Dane I am sure you are right, I think I just mis-read something on the mower itself somewhere. Hoping I have some carb cleaner in the garage already.

Old 05-15-15, 02:45 PM
So at risk of sounding stupid, before I tear onto this anymore, where is the carb located?

Also, knew I was not going entirely crazy, although not sure if this truly means dual carbs:

Old 05-15-15, 03:12 PM
Well that certainly says "Dual Carburetor". That may be referencing a type or function rather than a number.

If you still have a problem after you've worked over the fuel system you may need to look at the ignition works.

Something that comes up here occasionally on twins are the diodes in the kill circuit that separates the two circuits. When they act up you may get a cross firing. That could account for some of the things you're seeing. Or you may have a bad coil starting to act up.

There's a kill wire coming off each coil in addition to the spark plug wire. Try disconnecting that wire between the coil and wiring harness on each of them and see if you get a difference.

That's for testing only. With the kill wire circuit out of it you'll have to choke the engine to kill it.

Old 05-15-15, 03:24 PM
Thanks, also think I have found the carbs. They are behind the square silver piece that was behind the air filter.

They look grubby, definitely a pair, but it looks like the bowls are pretty much just clipped on.

Alas I am at a roadblock though, I have brake cleaner, I have maf cleaner, I have other cleaners, but no carb cleaner.

Old 05-15-15, 11:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
That's not a briggs engine... which is why the dual carb issue doesn't fit. That's a tecumseh.

Old 05-16-15, 04:26 AM
That explains a lot. I wonder what year they switched, I had assumed the mower was a 2003, which lists a Briggs engine. But that sounds to be incorrect.

Old 05-16-15, 12:00 PM
Well, I managed to get to the carbs, open the bowl and give them a clean. Both actually looked pretty good.

Surprisingly, I then managed to put it back together. Had some difficulty remembering where the choke and throttle cable attached (they may both need adjustment).

Started it up, got in about 4 passes and sure enough it started doing it again, if anything back firing even more. I did notice one fuel line split, so replaced that, but it still runs poorly. I may give in and pay someone, even though I suspect it to be likely something simple.

Also found out its a Tecumseh OV691EA, managed to also find a service manual which might help. I am thinking of trying to find a carb service kit and removing and cleaning them fully. The service manual also mentions checking the governor if the engine is surging. No mention of backfiring though in the manual.

Last edited by naiku; 05-16-15 at 12:36 PM.
Old 05-16-15, 01:48 PM
Try disconnecting the kill wires.