Pull start will recoil, but not if pulled out all the way.

Old 05-15-15, 07:06 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Pull start will recoil, but not if pulled out all the way.

So my carburetor came in the mail and the mower was up and running again, thanks to all who helped me on that a couple of weeks ago.

Last week I went to mow the lawn. Pulled the starter and the rope snapped. Kill me now.

So I got a new rope, installed it, learned the hard way that there's a spring in there, spent forever putting it back and getting it hooked in properly. Tensioned the starter mechanism (not sure what it's called), put the new rope in, everything snapped back, groovy.

Now I go to pull it and when it gets pulled all the way out, it won't recoil. Anything less and it will. When I take apart the starter mechanism there's a little part that when turned pops those two plastic wings out (to catch on the motor, I'm guessing). When I loosen that screw, the rope recoils perfectly, but then the two wing things won't pop out. I can have them pop out and no recoil, or recoil and the wings not popping out, but not both.

I'm at my wit's end with this machine, but I know I'm so close to getting it working again. Does anyone have any advice aside from leave machines alone?

Old 05-15-15, 10:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
It sounds like something is not correctly in place under the rope spool. It's binding when you tighten the screw, and you should be able to tighten the screw.

Last edited by cheese; 05-15-15 at 11:12 PM.
Old 05-15-15, 11:58 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Got fed up and brought it to a mower shop, spring was broken/bent. Not sure how, since I replaced it correctly. Anyway, got it replaced.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: